PDA

View Full Version : Venting about my paints surface

imported_donavin629
08-11-2002, 07:11 PM
I really hate using foam applicators, well, combined with Klasse SG that is. I`ve tried different brands but each one I`ve used, I`ve gotten "caught" (the applicator would fold up on one of my back or forth motions) because the foam wasn`t wet enough.

I have a feeling that some of the foam app`s "edges" is slightly scratching my paint. Has anyone else experienced this?

I`ve begun to notice more and more scratches, but I`m so stumped because I`ve been using very new foam applicators and clean MFs any time I apply or buff.

I know some rocks occasionally hit my car and I hear it (very scary and annoying) but I can`t help suspecting that it could be the foam applicators too. What do you guys do to keep the applicator lubed, especially with SG?

imported_Intermezzo
08-11-2002, 07:17 PM
Turdz, wouldn`t this only happen on unprotected paint? After you`ve applied a layer or two of SG, wouldn`t the slickness of your base-layers prevent the applicator from getting "caught" in your paint?

What I`ve done with most of my small yellow foam apps is cut out the edges so they`re now shaped like a small hockey puck without the `fused` edges. They don`t last as long this way, but that really shouldn`t be too much of an issue.

Another alternative might be to use the Viking HD foam applicators sold at Autozone. They really work well with the Klasse twins.

imported_donavin629
08-11-2002, 10:24 PM
Yes, the surface is as slick as it can ever get, but I still get the foam caught sometimes. Maybe I`m going too fast?

Thanks for the tip on the Viking products. I`ll try those out.

imported_Tony
08-11-2002, 10:33 PM
I use an mf applicator with sg. Others perfer the foam because it uses less product. I highly recommend the mf from CMA.

Note: I do not use the dime size dab in the middle of the applicator. I purchased several small about 3 ounce size spray bottles from Wal Mart. I fill the bottle with sg or aio. I use the bottle to spray the applicator. I feel that I get a better distribution of the product and less drag when using the applicator this way. These small bottles are very convenient to use. Just spry your applicator and then stick the bottle in your pocket. You are not having to look for a place to put the AIO/SG container and you are preventing spillage.

imported_donavin629
08-11-2002, 10:39 PM
I think I`m going to use MF from now on too. With foam, I use 1/3 of a 1oz bottle. I bet with a MF, I`ll use just a bit more. Thanks for the idea.

shaf
08-12-2002, 12:29 AM
I use Meguiar`s hand apps. without issue. You can`t cut the edge off of these though because they`re hollow. Maybe it`s the way you`re using/holding the pads? I only use the top half to apply, and use my fingers to hold it against the paint while I grab the bottom half with my thumb and hold it against the base of my fingers. Ends up being about 45 degrees bent in use. I bet this is how everyone does it anyway, but what the heck, I`m not deleting all that! :p

I dispense my SG from a tiny 1 oz squirt bottle (helps monitor consumption) and "scrub" the tip around the pad. I thought about using a spray pump, but I didn`t want any SG to overspray (waste!) and evaporate faster on the pad.