PDA

View Full Version : Applicators and Towels

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_matthew
08-11-2002, 05:14 PM
What do I use to apply each step on my car?

For the Wash what is the best to use (mit, towel, etc, etc)

For Polish

For Wax

For buffing Wax

For drying Car

Thanks, I`m going to buy all of these soon, I also read that 100% cotton is not always true (if made in pakistan or china?) How do I find 100% cotton towels if i need them.

Thanks

imported_dl9589
08-11-2002, 05:42 PM
This is what I use when I do my car...don`t know if it`s exactly the way it`s "supposed" to be done, to each his own I guess.

Wash - 100% Chenille wash mit.

Polish & Wax - Foam applicators

Buffing & Drying - Microfiber Towels.

imported_Intermezzo
08-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by matthew

Thanks, I`m going to buy all of these soon, I also read that 100% cotton is not always true (if made in pakistan or china?) How do I find 100% cotton towels if i need them.

Thanks

I`d get bath-sized towels at your local Fieldcrest-Cannon outlet store. You could also try places like LinensNThings or Bed Bath & Beyond. Be sure to get bath-sized...because some of the smaller towels aren`t 100% cotton, even though they`re labeled as such.

Or you can try your local Zaino distributor.

imported_matthew
08-11-2002, 07:20 PM
THere is a Zaino distroubator about 25 minutes from my home. What do they have that is better than a regultar 100% cotton towel I can buy from a place like bed bath and beyond?

Also, I am still wondering what it is that I use to wash the car itself, if anyone can answer!

tkr128
08-11-2002, 07:42 PM

THere is a Zaino distroubator about 25 minutes from my home. What do they have that is better than a regultar 100% cotton towel I can buy from a place like bed bath and beyond?

Also, I am still wondering what it is that I use to wash the car itself, if anyone can answer!

A good wash mitt will do the job. A sheepskin washmitt is a good choice, as well as 100% cotton wash mitts. Also, as AuroraV8 has suggested, a 100% Chenille wash mitt is good also. If you use a cotton wash mitt, make sure it is 100% cotton. Try a search on wash mitts and you`ll find plenty of information on which might suite you better.

KCPreki11
08-11-2002, 09:59 PM
Try MF mitts...they are very nice.

I also use waffleweaves for drying, foam for applying, and Charismas for buffing...I find them nicer to buff with than MF`s.

To check for %100 cotton you have to burn one of the fibers of the product you want to find is %100 cotton. If the fiber shrivels up it`s not cotton, but prob. polyester...if it burns into ashes than it`s %100 cotton. I think I got it right...search for burn test.

Antym15
08-11-2002, 10:19 PM
For washing, a big 100% wool mitt. Cotton chennile I heard is the way to go, and better than wool... 100% cotton only please! And the bigger, the better.

For applying wax though I actually use my hand for a couple reasons, the first being I can feel if a peice f sand got in there and quickly clean my hand, the secnd is that I`m not wasting any wax that dries up on the applicator... anyone else try this?

For removing wax, cotton terry bonnet(s) on my cheap-o orbital, and a final buff by hand with either another cotton terry towel or an old t-shirt (favorite).

For drying car, I just picked up a synthetic chamois from Target called the AquaDry. It`s 3 sq. feet of a sponge-like material, highly durable, clear-coat safe and comes in it`s own plastic container to prevent drying up. Also, it doesn`t smell musty either when you take it out of it`s container. I soaks up gobs of water like crazy! I really like it, it is soooo much better than the natural (cowhide) chamois I had.

Cheers!

Colin

:bounce

shaf
08-12-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by masterofreality

For drying car, I just picked up a synthetic chamois from Target called the AquaDry. It`s 3 sq. feet of a sponge-like material, highly durable, clear-coat safe and comes in it`s own plastic container to prevent drying up. Also, it doesn`t smell must either when you take it out of it`s container. I soaks up gobs of water like crazy! I really like it, it is soooo much better than the natural (cowhide) chamois I had.

Cheers!

Colin

:bounce Hmm, this product sounds almost like a Simoniz sponge cloth sold up here. 3 sq. feet, spongy, comes in a ziplock-like bag and is already wet inside(?). Is it light tan/yellow in colour with white fibers embedded in it that you can see on the edges?

Does it leave any streaks or droplets behind?

FYI, Simoniz up here is owned by Blue Coral and 100% unaffiliated with Simoniz in the US! It took some research to find this out.

vroddad
08-12-2002, 02:41 AM
I did the hand app. for Zymol Carbon... gave me a hand cramp

Antym15
08-12-2002, 08:16 AM
4DSC...

That`s right, you`ve described it exactly, exc ept the color... which is a light purple... I think it also comes in green & blue. It does NOT leave streaks or water droplets behind though. I really like it. :up

Colin

Glossequation
08-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Aurorav8

This is what I use when I do my car...don`t know if it`s exactly the way it`s "supposed" to be done, to each his own I guess.

Wash - 100% Chenille wash mit.

Polish & Wax - Foam applicators

Buffing & Drying - Microfiber Towels.

me too, 100%...I tried the foam applicators with wax for the first time this weekend, it is sooo much easier than terry cloth pads. And those MF towels are unbelievable...I have the Turtle Wax ones....

imported_Intermezzo
08-12-2002, 11:15 AM

The quality and plushness of the towels will be the same, however the Z distributor`s towels come with the ends properly serged. You won`t have to worry about keeping the `beauty band` and folded edges away from your paint. If you can serge them yourself, then this isn`t an issue.

imported_matthew
08-12-2002, 12:08 PM
since i dont even know what serge means, i dobut i could do it :bow

imported_Intermezzo
08-12-2002, 12:32 PM
I couldn`t find a pic of what a serged towel looks like but here`s a link with some good info.

http://www.lazaino.com/#Towels

shaf
08-12-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by masterofreality

4DSC...

That`s right, you`ve described it exactly, exc ept the color... which is a light purple... I think it also comes in green & blue. It does NOT leave streaks or water droplets behind though. I really like it. :up

Colin Cool, thanks Colin.