PDA

View Full Version : zaino,klasse snakeoil?

Pages : [1] 2

CAG333
08-11-2002, 09:54 AM
I ran across a thread discussing durability, fancy gimmicks, marketing and product hype here it is:

[URL=http://forum.autocareforum.com/forum.src?Action=Posts&Subject=2292&Topic=18&SubjStart=]

I use Klasse AIO and SG thinking its a great way to keep my car looking good and protecting the paint at the same time. According to the above thread I am kidding myself into thinking its a better product than others and I am grossly over paying for a product that other companies have duplicated and sell at a much cheaper price.

I am no chemical scientist so my questions are this:

1. Are similar products sold at a much lower price?

2. Are the durability claims all hype?

3. Due to our obsession with detailing and our drive for the perfect detailing product obscuring my reasoning and common sense capabilities?

4. Am I just buying expensive snake oil?

I am thowing this topic out there just to get some ideas and thoughts from fellow autopians.

caddyman
08-11-2002, 10:46 AM
In that thread, about liquid glass, they talked about how even it made the finish. The LG contains major abrasives, if THEY KNEW ANYTHING they would know this, pobviously they dont know that, so they must be BS`n. They have no idea what they are talking about.:p

rstype
08-11-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by CAG333

Are similar products sold at a much lower price?

Yea, there are products similar to Klasse AIO and Liquid Glass at a lower price. They have to be usually purchased in bulk. I can`t find any for SG or Zaino though.

Are the durability claims all hype?

No, with the exception of Blackfire sealant, they are not hype. They really do last!

Due to our obsession with detailing and our drive for the perfect detailing product obscuring my reasoning and common sense capabilities?

Nope!

Am I just buying expensive snake oil?

Nope!

imported_Intel486
08-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Sure there are other synthetics out there besides Klasse SG and Zaino but people here have tested and proven these products to be good.

I`m sure someone else will come out with a product similar to Klasse SG or Zaino for a cheaper cost. I`d say find out the different synthetic wax and find the one YOU like.

Steve @ Guru
08-11-2002, 12:40 PM
The "problem" with those websites and the publications that guys like BudA & Autocareusa write articles for is that they are geared for professional, high volume detailers who don`t really care one way or another about things like abrasiveness, durability, etc.

They are to the Enthusiast Detailing World as McDonald`s is to the gourmet food industry...then, they come over here and try to tell us that Pinnacle, P21S, Klasse, etc. is "garbage". To me, that would be like telling a chef that there`s no difference between SPAM and fillet mignon... :)

Oh well, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

bjwebster
08-11-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by geekysteve

The "problem" with those websites and the publications that guys like BudA & Autocareusa write articles for is that they are geared for professional, high volume detailers who don`t really care one way or another about things like abrasiveness, durability, etc.

They are to the Enthusiast Detailing World as McDonald`s is to the gourmet food industry...then, they come over here and try to tell us that Pinnacle, P21S, Klasse, etc. is "garbage". To me, that would be like telling a chef that there`s no difference between SPAM and fillet mignon... :)

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

KCPreki11
08-11-2002, 01:12 PM
Agreed...but one point in time they had to have started out like us. Maybe they have more experience with products and do know?

lsanford
08-11-2002, 01:34 PM
Agreed...but one point in time they had to have started out like us. Maybe they have more experience with products and do know?

Not necessarily, they didn`t have to start our "like us". :nono

Autopians are interested in what will make their cars look the best or what will protect the appearance of their cars the best.

Copied from the autocareforum.com site:

This site provides Auto Care operators and new Investors a place to communicate with each other. To tap the wealth of knowledge in each of us collected from years of trial and error. To once again prove the old adage that the more you put into something the more you get out. To answer your questions or point you in the right direction.

The Auto Care Forum is focused around business owners and investors (people with a focus on making money, not necissarily what is best for the cars apearance or protection).:scared

Lowejackson
08-11-2002, 01:51 PM
Mr BudA arguments are basic, many things can be broken down into basic chemistry, but so what.

We are in a completly different market to the high volume detailers, geekysteve is 100% correct. But it does not mean that we are using bad or poor products. I have worked in factories for many years, I have a good understanding of volume and costs, as does the Head Chef where I now work (in a hotel), but when I prepare nice food for a dinner party at home I use very different products and cook them at a complety different pace to a Chef.

I guess the phrase is `comparing apples to oranges`.

It is a shame BudA could not make the metal leap to see what we are trying to do, but it does not keep me awake at night either.

There is nothing wrong with products on Autopia, they are not snakeoils, they do what we want them to do, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Steven

KCPreki11
08-11-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by lsanford

Not necessarily, they didn`t have to start our "like us". :nono

Autopians are interested in what will make their cars look the best or what will protect the appearance of their cars the best.

Copied from the autocareforum.com site:

The Auto Care Forum is focused around business owners and investors (people with a focus on making money, not necissarily what is best for the cars apearance or protection).:scared

I understand what your saying...sort of like...they started with TW and progressed onto where they are now, skipping the products we use on here

imported_RIC
08-11-2002, 02:30 PM
Use the "search by member" and put in "Buda" and read the posts he made here.

We challenged him to let us know what products were available in bulk that were identical to Klasse and Zaino but he did not respond.

tkr128
08-11-2002, 04:31 PM
It bugs me that after all this time he still does not know how to spell "Zaino". Unless there really is a product called "Zainco" :confused:

Lenny
08-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by geekysteve

Well said, Steve, well said.

imported_Intermezzo
08-11-2002, 06:52 PM

I am no chemical scientist so my questions are this:

1. Are similar products sold at a much lower price?

I think the previous posters stated it pretty well. I guess what it boils down to is what your definition of similar is. If you`re really anal about your car and are able to discern small differences here and there among different products (in the way they shine and feel when applying), then the answer is no. But if you are the average person who has no more than a reasonable inclination to keep his/her car looking nice, then yes, there are similar products sold at lower prices. Most ppl here are reasonably experienced and know their cars very well, so it`s not a leap to believe that we`d be able to tell the difference between having Souveran on our car as opposed to some carnauba cream that Buda would sell by the gallon. And while in our eyes the difference in shine between these two products would keep us awake at night, the average twice-a-year detailer would probably consider any difference in shine too small to give a care about.

Taxlady
08-11-2002, 09:06 PM
I don`t think the people here are just getting fooled by expensive name brands. I`ve seen lots of comparisons where folks used different stuff on different parts of the same car at the same time to see exactly what the difference is. Also, people here are using S100 which is cheaper than P21S, `cause they know it`s the same stuff and they aren`t paying extra for a more expensive name.