PDA

View Full Version : house paint on car paint, how do i remove it

Pages : [1] 2

JAGOWNER1981
08-10-2002, 06:09 PM
My friend owns a 2000 Toyota Celica GTS (silver) and they were painting the house with one of those wagner sprayers. Well the sprayer oversprayed on the hood and windshield. How should i remove it from these 2 surfaces?:confused:

BradE
08-10-2002, 06:13 PM
Mineral Spirits will work well Ali. :up

JAGOWNER1981
08-10-2002, 06:15 PM
so just go to home depot and ask for mineral spirits? is this aggressive on the paint? Should i try clay, or not agressive enough? sorry to sound like a newbie lol.

bjwebster
08-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Ali the Apprentice!

dan45hk
08-10-2002, 06:18 PM
uh-oh ur apprentice status on autopia is affecting u;)

j/k i know ur an expert!

BradE
08-10-2002, 06:34 PM
Ali,

Home Depot shoud carry Mineral spirits. The mineral spirits will not harm the finish, it will disolve the overspray without intense rubbing, thus less chances for scratching. Soak a rag with mineral spirits and blot it onto the areas that need it and let is sit for a few minutes. Around 5 minutes is best, but use what you think is needed. Then re-soak the rag and wipe over the area again. Most, if not all of the paint should be removed. If not, re-treat. This must be done on a cool surface and in the shade.

The car will need to be washed afterwards to remove any residue. It will also remove any waxes/sealants on the car as will so that will need to be re-done as will.

Good Luck!!

:xyxthumbs

JAGOWNER1981
08-10-2002, 06:43 PM
thanks brad! ur a live saver.

C. Charles Hahn
08-10-2002, 07:07 PM
yeah do what SRL said..... :up

so when are you going to finally get rid of that apprentice title and bring back an avatar, anyways?? :confused:

shaf
08-11-2002, 02:59 AM
Hmm, interesting tip. I partially clayed a friend`s car a few days ago, and he also had specks of some kind of exterior paint here and there. (Ironically, white paint on a black car!) The clay removed them about the same as stubborn tar spots. If I find more anywhere I`ll keep this in mind. :up

vroddad
08-11-2002, 04:32 AM
I`d go clay first... it says it gets rid of overspray. Next try paint thinner (mineral spirits) but STAY AWAY FROM LAQUER THINNER!

zey
08-11-2002, 10:22 AM
Today some workers were adding a new layer of road tar to renew the road. Somehow, when they sprayed the tar oil on the road, some tar mist were blown into my house car posch causing both my car and my dad`s car fully covered with tar spots! I nearly fainted as I just detailed my dad`s car last weekend! May I know what`s the best way to deal with this? I have tried applying a layer of AG Super Resin Polish, and it removes the tar spots easily...should I continue this for the whole car?

JAGOWNER1981
08-11-2002, 05:13 PM
I saw the car today, Mineral spirits did nothing at all!!!! I let it sit on the paint for like 3 minutes, the specs didnt budge. I tried Clay, Meguiars body scrub, DACP, bug and tar remover. Nothing! I found out it isnt paint, it is white primer. Does this make a difference. Please help. I tried all the products on the glass too, did nothing.

We're Here
08-11-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by AlBoston

I saw the car today, Mineral spirits did nothing at all!!!! I let it sit on the paint for like 3 minutes, the specs didnt budge. I tried Clay, Meguiars body scrub, DACP, bug and tar remover. Nothing! I found out it isnt paint, it is white primer. Does this make a difference. Please help. I tried all the products on the glass too, did nothing.

Al ... I`ve PM`d you twice, are you checking your messages?

BradE
08-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Depends on the type of primer. Do you know what kind it is? If it`s something like Epoxy primer you might not be able to do anything.

JAGOWNER1981
08-11-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln

Depends on the type of primer. Do you know what kind it is? If it`s something like Epoxy primer you might not be able to do anything.

eeek! I`ll call him and find out.

edit: I called him, this is exactly the stuff that is on his car

http://www.behrpaint.com/cgi-bin/db2www/prodcat/primers.d2w/report?prodnum=434&prodtitle=pp&hd=Y&desc=Y