PDA

View Full Version : Hard water problems

jw
08-10-2002, 05:45 PM
I like to wash my car at home instead of at the diy coin operating places. My problem is that we have really hard water that`s a pain to get off. I dry it as quick as I can, but it seems impossible to get everthing dried without a spot. Help, what can i do. It leaves bad marks on the windows and chrome. I don`t want to have to get out the vinegar everytime i wash my car to get the spots of the windows. Any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks

kaptsig
08-12-2002, 12:00 AM
Wiping the spots with vinegar is the easiest thing you can do for spots. Any other treatment will include abrasives and elbow grease.

imported_Tony
08-12-2002, 12:19 AM
Distilled water is about $1 a gallon. For light washes mix a spray bottle with distilled water and car wash shampoo. Spray a panel and wash lightly/gently one panel at a time. Then soak a mf in the remaining distilled water and rinse using the wet mf. Then buff with a dry mf. For more shine follow up with QD.

Caution: This is not meant for medium/ heavy dirty surfaces. Only for light washes.

jerry@robs
08-12-2002, 12:44 AM
WOW, $1/gallon of distilled water???

It costs $0.18 cents here in Manila... (P9/gallon)...

ultrajim49
08-12-2002, 02:07 AM
Why not install a water softner?

About ten years ago I had one installed ,

agreed, it costed me a 1000USDollars worth , but I had nothing but trouble without the softner :

every six months the coffemachine was ruined, the nozzles of the shower kept blocking , the water-boiler needed to be cleaned every year , and so on and on

Every 100 cube meters of water I used , 320 Kilograms of calcium came along.(this was measured).

In my humble opinion I think it`s verry well worth the investment.

Never had any problem since:xyxthumbs

:wavey

vroddad
08-12-2002, 02:36 AM
I have one in my house... it`s a neccesity since we just spent $6500 in bathroom plumbing fixtures!

But the hosebib outside isn`t soft water... maybe I`ll start filling my bucket in the shower.