PDA

View Full Version : Two quick questions

ABCDetail
07-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Well, everything worked out fine after my little tent fiasco, and demand at this company is out of control! Two questions for everyone.

First, I tend to use larger polishing pads with my PC, 7.5 and 8 inch because it enables be to get through my jobs quicker. But, should I actually be using the smaller pads for any other reason than control? I use both Megs and Edge.

Second, what does everyone use when applying dressing? I use both water based and silicone based dressings, and I usually apply with a towel (microfiber) and buff with another towel. Works fine, but sometimes a bit time consuming. Any other methods? Thanks!

ABCDetailing

clean4u
07-18-2004, 02:02 PM
First question cant answer it cause i dont have a PC {YET}!!!!!! Second question nor

Woob
07-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Hey man! Good to see business booming. HOpe to see you in a week or so. Maybe I can help :)

As for your questions, yes bigger pads do take more experience to handle. It depends on your backing plate and counterweight with the pads you are using. Practice makes perfect though.

For dressing, I`m still learning but cleaning the surface is very key. Try something strong enough and you should be good. Try foam brushes and foam applicators. :cool

dr_detail
07-18-2004, 07:00 PM
I don`t have much experience with the PC (orbital) but I do with the rotary (17+), I prefer to use the larger pads for they have a larger sweet spot which make less swirls. As for the second Q -- I use foam for exterior exterior dressings, and for the interior either diapers or terry towels. I by the foam in sheets (1" thick) and cut/tear off the desired size chunk apply the dressing to the foam and wipe on the part that needs to be dressed. For areas like wheel wells and motors, I just spray the dressing using a trigger type sprayer and let it dry. This method works great on tires, but if it`s windy, it can create more work from the dressing overspray.

Hope this helps

mirrorfinishman
07-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Woob
For dressing, I`m still learning but cleaning the surface is very key. Try something strong enough and you should be good. Try foam brushes and foam applicators. :cool

This is very good advice!

It is always a good idea to make certain that the surface is completely clean before applying dressings.

wifehatescar
07-19-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by dr_detail
I prefer to use the larger pads for they have a larger sweet spot which make less swirls.

Can you explain this futher?

I have been using Edge 6" pads with my rotary thus far...

mirrorfinishman
07-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by dr_detail
For areas like wheel wells and motors, I just spray the dressing using a trigger type sprayer and let it dry.

ABCDetail,

Not a good idea to spray silicone based dressings in the motor compartment.

Better check with some of the major car manufacturers before spraying silicone based dressings in the motor compartment. Apparently silicone dressings can have an adverse effect on various electronic sensors, such as oxygen sensors after the motor is started.

dr_detail
07-19-2004, 10:19 AM
In the image below (taken from a previous post (http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4964&perpage=25&highlight=swirl%20removal&pagenumber=2)) the center of the yellow area is what I refer to as "the sweet spot." The larger the pad, the larger this area is. When working with a larger pad, the diameter alows for basic physcis to take over -- a larger diameter makes for straighter curves in this "sweet spot" which, in my experience, makes for less swirls. Since I don`t have much experience with these newer random orbitol "PC`s," I couldn`t tell you if this holds true in using them -- someone out there with vast PC experience please help out on this one.
:)

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=47054

dr_detail
07-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman
ABCDetail,

Not a good idea to spray silicone based dressings in the motor compartment.

Better check with some of the major car manufacturers before spraying silicone based dressings in the motor compartment. Apparently silicone dressings can have an adverse effect on various electronic sensors, such as oxygen sensors after the motor is started. I`ve Done thousands of motors in the last 17+ years, and only had one incident where there was a problem -- one of those short lived, late 70`s Cadilliac Diesels and after it was diagnosed by a dealer and the problem fixed, the problem was not caused by the detailing of the motor. But since you`ve made it clear in many previous posts Frank that you do not detail motors -- I will take this suggestion of contacting the manufacturer prior to applying any silicone based dressings because they might have an "adverse effect on various electronic sensors" with a pinch of sugar and a spot of cream and start a new survey thread about this controversial topic...

New Engine Detailing Poll (http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5577)

wifehatescar
07-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the diagram Dr Detail!

brwill2004
07-19-2004, 11:30 AM
The best applicators I have found for tire dressings are available at craft stores such as Michael`s etc. They are foam applicators that have a wooden handle. They come in various sizes and work great for plastic trim moldings. They are very cheap and surprisingly durable. I just discovered them a few months ago when I went to Michael`s with my fiance. I saw them and said wow those look like they could work well applying dressings.