PDA

View Full Version : Touchup repair question.

Ikabob
08-09-2002, 10:05 PM
I was hit with a small stone near the edge of the car near the rear tire panel. It left a small indentation and a nick to the metal. I prepared the small area and added touchup paint . After about 1 week I used a 2000 grit sand block (Meguiar) and some 3M hand Glaze. The area looks better although where I may have touched the uninvolved paint area, it is dull (kind of like an eraser mark) It is not obvious but I think it could be improved...just dont know how. The original chipped area still has a little blob but I can live with that. I just have trouble living with the part that was uninvolved but looks like an eraser mark...ie...no glaze. Is it possible I accidentally sanded away the clear coat over the original paint? How can I correct this? Is there something finer than the 2000 grit sand block? Thank you.

tkr128
08-09-2002, 11:04 PM
It`s probably just the really fine scratches put in by the sanding. Some 3M Fine cut rubbing compound should take away the haze. 3M SMR works well too. Always use the least aggressive product and move up as necessary. If you have a darker colored car, the SMR might not work very well.

I think the hand glaze only fills the scratches in.

mskent1
08-10-2002, 12:04 AM
For chip repair I`ve had a lot of luck using Langka after the Duplicolor 2 step process + touch up paint.

Just tried to hit the Langka website with no luck - it`s been a year or two since I ordered any so not sure the status of their site.

Ghost

CharlesW
08-10-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Ghost

Just tried to hit the Langka website with no luck - it`s been a year or two since I ordered any so not sure the status of their site.

Ghost

I`m pretty sure I read that Mother`s had purchased Langka. The Mother`s version isn`t showing up in any of the stores around here yet, though. It might be worth checking Mother`s web-site for an update or list of retailers. Langka has worked well for me in the past, but did take some practice to achieve the results I was looking for. There does seem to be mixed reviews here, as to how well the product works. All I know is it works for me.

Charles

mskent1
08-10-2002, 08:58 AM
Excellent - thanks for the link!

I lent my Langka to a friend a few months ago - when he gave it back he wasn`t very impressed. I went and took a look at his work and saw he didn`t follow the directions at all. Langka is one of those things you really have to fool around with a little bit before you get it just right.

Once you do, it`s really amazing.

Ghost