PDA

View Full Version : Dawn, or Sherwin Williams Ultra Clean?

mskent1
08-09-2002, 02:14 PM
Reading through the posts in here, it looks like a lot of folks have various prefered products which they use to strip off old wax.

Recently, I did some body work on our rusty old commuter car.

During my learning phase I discovered the need to clean the surface prior to the tac cloth and paint application.

I bought a gallon of Sherwin Williams Ultra Clean R7K158 Fast Surface Cleaner (not cheap) which works extremely well. It`s nasty stuff & I wear a respirator - but it does strip off wax with no hesitation, and you won`t need to use much of it at all. I still have most of the gallon after repainting two quarter panels and the trunk.

The label reads; "A quick-drying surface cleaner designed to remove wax, grease, tar, oil, silicones, and other contaminants from: 1) Bare metal substrates to prepare for primer, 2) Cured enamel of lacquer finished to prepare for refinishing, or 3) Removing sanding residue before recoating."

I`ve not checked with Sherwin Williams yet, but it seems as though this would be a pretty easy way to strip wax...

Anyone have experience with this?

Think it might harm the finish?

Thanks,

Ghost

Lenny
08-09-2002, 03:16 PM
I agree with ejant - I don`t think I would use anyting that strong. You would be much safer with Dawn, and if you felt one wash with Dawn won`t remove enough old wax, just repeat one more time with Dawn and you should be alright.

Mutilator
08-09-2002, 03:19 PM
If this doesn`t harm your paint it might actually work pretty well since it says "quick drying." Maybe you just wash your car with it and don`t have to worry about drying or washing the car a 2nd time to make sure all the dawn residue is gone.