PDA

View Full Version : Removing Wax & Polish Residue

mskent1
08-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Sunroof felt gasket is loaded with cleaner/polish/wax. How to remove??

Tried to put a picture in here but can`t make the file small enough to meet the 4096 BYTE requirement...

Thanks,

Ghost

KSCobra46
08-09-2002, 10:38 AM
Have you tried using a toothbrush to remove any heavy residue? If not try it and then maybe a solution of dawn dish soap and water. Carefully clean the felt with the dawn solution and a clean microfiber towel. Once it is clean dry the felt with another mf and then brush it with a clean toothbrush to fluff up the felt. This is purely a guess on how to clean it, so try a small area first to see if it produces good results. Good Luck.

topnotchtouch
08-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Ghost

Sunroof felt gasket is loaded with cleaner/polish/wax. How to remove??

Tried to put a picture in here but can`t make the file small enough to meet the 4096 BYTE requirement...

Thanks,

Ghost

I have found that using a toothbrush first to loosen it up and then MF towels work best. MF is even good at getting cotton lint out left behind from trying to use a cotton towel to try and remove the wax :)

imported_Tony
08-09-2002, 12:43 PM
What type of wax/cleaner stained your trim. Many perfer to tape off these areas before polishing. Try WD40 it may help. Test the WD40 in a small area and then decide if you wish to continue.

Good luck

mskent1
08-09-2002, 01:23 PM
17 years of whatever wax and/or polish the two previous owners used, mainly.

I use Meguiar`s DCS cleaner and polish, #7 and GC wax.

Try to miss the gasket but it`s not easy.

What do folks use to mask it with? It`s a pretty thin gasket smack in the middle of the roof, not sure you could get body shop masking tape to stick, let alone stand up to the buffer...

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

Ghost:up

topnotchtouch
08-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Ghost

17 years of whatever wax and/or polish the two previous owners used, mainly.

I use Meguiar`s DCS cleaner and polish, #7 and GC wax.

Try to miss the gasket but it`s not easy.

What do folks use to mask it with? It`s a pretty thin gasket smack in the middle of the roof, not sure you could get body shop masking tape to stick, let alone stand up to the buffer...

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.

Ghost:up

I have two tools I keep handy for wax removal from trim. a small kids soft toothbrush and a hunk of white office type erasor. The erasor seems to work best on motted plastic trim and on things that the toothbrush just can`t get to or if I am afraid of scratching paint with the toothbrush. Sounds weird but the erasor removes wax better than anything I have tried. It has to be the white kind you find in office supply stores.