PDA

View Full Version : Paintless dent removal

imported_dickie
08-09-2002, 08:43 AM
My Alfa 156 suddenly received 2 small dings on the passenger door. They are both beside each other, each less tehn 1/5" in diameter, and not very deep as you can only see them at an angle, and not head on. They are what I call "thumb" dents. Every bodyshop I went to quotes 350-500 Euro to have the door resprayed. No one seems interested in paintless dent repair.

I see www.dingkingtool sell a diy product which is said to remove dents, by using hot glue to attach a dent removal plug to the centre of the dent. You then turn a screw and this gently pops the dent. I contacted them, and they say it will work on my car, despite the dents being non-symetrical.

I would be very very grateful to anyone who could advise on the use of this tool. Is there any danger of making the dent worse, cracking the paint or harming the paintwork trying to remove the glue. Like everyone else here, I am fanatical about detailing, and if this tool doesn`t work perfectly, then I will have to go for the respray.

thx

samiam513
08-09-2002, 08:48 AM
They are expensive to get out. I don`t thinkt he dingking will work. NyDetailer can laborate on this more. He does PDR.

The only way to prevent these dents is to park where noone else parks. Wayyyy out in the parking lot where you halfto drive for 5 miles to find my trruck. :D I always have a spot reserved for me.

topnotchtouch
08-09-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Flaccus

My Alfa 156 suddenly received 2 small dings on the passenger door. They are both beside each other, each less tehn 1/5" in diameter, and not very deep as you can only see them at an angle, and not head on. They are what I call "thumb" dents. Every bodyshop I went to quotes 350-500 Euro to have the door resprayed. No one seems interested in paintless dent repair.

I see www.dingkingtool sell a diy product which is said to remove dents, by using hot glue to attach a dent removal plug to the centre of the dent. You then turn a screw and this gently pops the dent. I contacted them, and they say it will work on my car, despite the dents being non-symetrical.

I would be very very grateful to anyone who could advise on the use of this tool. Is there any danger of making the dent worse, cracking the paint or harming the paintwork trying to remove the glue. Like everyone else here, I am fanatical about detailing, and if this tool doesn`t work perfectly, then I will have to go for the respray.

thx

Are there no franchises that specialize in Paintless Dent Repair in Ireland? Most body shops would probably be resistant at doing it as they will make more at normal body work than a simple repair like PDR. Here in the US we have several companies like DentWizard and several others that do just this kind of work. I was lucky though in that my local Ford dealer had a guy in their body shop that did PDR. I had a ding in both doors of my 01 Mustang and he was able to remove any traces of them and it only cost $76 US.

tetz
08-09-2002, 09:25 AM
I have the dingking glue puller and am a real amatuer at using it.

I had no trouble with the glue removal or any damage to the paint.

The only problem I had was that on a small shallow dent the puller went too far before the glue popped and left me with an

raised ding rather than a recessed one. And tapping a raised dent back down with a hammer is not for the faint of heart.

The kit comes with, in my amatuer opinion, pullers (knobs?) that are too large for small door dings. On the TV commercial the guy pulls out a huge hammer dent, not a door ding. There are smaller knobs available from dingking and I need to get some.

I would practice on someone else`s beater before attemping your prized car.

regards

JonT

shirtman
08-09-2002, 11:11 AM
I too had a ding as you described in a very prominent part of the driver`s door... right in the middle of the roll at the top to horizontal. I took it to the dealer who had a connection with a locak company who does PDR. Magic...completely vanished for $47.00US. It is all in the expertise in using the method and tools. It is NOT something that will likely be accomplished by the inexperienced. Check out some references. Go with a pro on this one. You will not be sorry.

Good luck!

imported_dickie
08-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all your advice. Unfortunately the only dentwizard guy is in Dublin, about 130 miles from where I live.

I`m also reluctant to use the dingking tool, as I expect I will end up pulling the ding out too far.

Not sure what to do now.

topnotchtouch
08-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Flaccus

Thanks for all your advice. Unfortunately the only dentwizard guy is in Dublin, about 130 miles from where I live.

I`m also reluctant to use the dingking tool, as I expect I will end up pulling the ding out too far.

Not sure what to do now.

I think you`ll be much happier driving the 130 miles to and back to get the dent taken care of at DentWizard. I don`t let a bodyshop touch my car unless I have to and only then if I know their work. I have just had too many issues with body shops that put quantity over quality.

CharlesW
08-09-2002, 12:38 PM
You might check with the dent removal man in Dublin to see if he know of any technicians closer to you. Many of these type of people have a loose knit organization, (kinda like detailers), and know several other people in the business. Other than that, I think I would try to schedule a trip to Dublin.

Charles

Taxlady
08-09-2002, 03:13 PM
Sounds like a great excuse for a trip to Dublin to me :D

Be sure to make an appointment before you go.

imported_dickie
08-13-2002, 04:33 AM
I actually spoke to the Dentmaster guy, and he reckons I would be wasting time/money as the dent is so minor and can only be seen at an angle. Plus no guarantees of getting out such a small dent either. Could make it worse. He suggested getting a set of Alfa rubbing strips for the doors. They look ok, and don`t take the look off the car. And while they are really covering the problem, at least they will help protect the car.

imported_dickie
08-14-2002, 10:22 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I got a no. of a guy who operates a paintless dent repair service in Cork (Ireland), which is about 35 miles from my house. The name is DentDoctor. I`m driving down there on Friday afernoon and meeting him outside the local Nissan garage. The cost per panel is 80euro (about $78), but he said he would do other panels for only an additional 20, if I had other dents. And if the job wasn` perfect, I wouldn`t have to pay. Can`t ask for better then that.

By the way, the repair method he described, involves putting a tool down the inside of the door. The trim doesn`t have to come off at all, and he`s done plenty of 156`s. About 10 minutes work.

Will let you know how it works out.

By the way; I have never ever parked my car beside an other. I always part diagonally across 2 spaces in a car park, away from everyone else. I also do not park in the city. And I have a driveway at home to myself. So the only possible way it got the dent, was from the lousy dealer. Typical. It seems the more you look after a new car the more it gets damaged.