PDA

View Full Version : Car MP3 player

otilio1
08-09-2002, 03:07 AM
I`m ready to chuck the factory radio & CD changer in my 1999 Jetta. I wanted one of the car MP3 decks when they first came out, but decided to wait. Now the display on my factory deck is getting screwy and the time has come to get the MP3 player.

Only problem is that I hate the way most aftermarket stereos look. I don`t want a big, flashing display or a silver finish. Kenwood consistently gets top marks for functionality, but all of their decks seem to have these "features." Does anyone know when Eclipse is coming out with a CD-MP3 deck? (I think their only MP3-capable model is a DVD player.) What are your picks for the most subtle/stealth car MP3 headunit? I realize I am being picky, and that some people here probably like the units I poo-poohed, so no offense intended...

Also, I was initially interested in the Sony CDX-MP30 since it looked fairly clean, but then I saw one and the knobs felt flimsy, and the detachable face rocked back and forth in its moorings when I pressed buttons on the left side. That`s the only model that has been crossed off the list for sure at this point. Thanks for all your help!

metoo1022
08-09-2002, 10:06 AM
Consider a diskless MP3. Do a search for "KEG". It`s a trunk mounted system that holds thousands of MP3`s on a hard drive. No skipping. More expensive than other options for sure. This is the type I`m saving for-

I also don`t like the flashy appearance on most systems. Plus being a rag-top, I don`t want to draw any more attention to the cockpit than I have to.

otilio1
08-09-2002, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the reply, ejant. I have looked there and am actually considering purchasing there due to their good reputation for customer service.

I am currently leaning towards the Kenwood KDC-X659...

otilio1
08-09-2002, 10:26 AM
Doc Roadster,

Crutchfield has the Kenwood Music Keg. Very slick. :up

Looks like I could add it to any Kenwood receiver. Thanks for the info!

otilio1
08-09-2002, 03:53 PM
I just ordered a Kenwood KDC-X859 from Crutchfield. It will control the "Music Keg" if I decide to add that later, and/or I can have an aux input or Kenwood changer. Plenty of choices for future expansion... Also, it has the motorized hiding faceplate and a security code feature, so Doc might be interested in it. The faceplate is rather flashy, but I think I can learn to love it. Thanks for the help!

boywonder
08-09-2002, 04:25 PM
<< Waiting on what Eclipse has coming down the pipe.

matt@wheelwax
08-14-2002, 02:24 AM
Check out this site:

http://www.highwaymp3.com/hwmp3.htm