PDA

View Full Version : smr by hand?

jrush
08-08-2002, 04:14 PM
Would I be crazy to assume I can apply SMR to my entire car by hand? The finish is pretty darn nice, just the usual mild swirl marks in the paint. I want to pick up a PC but can`t really afford it right now. Thanks.

caddyman
08-08-2002, 05:01 PM
It can be done. It wil take a lot of time and persistance, but results are ascheivable!

Just be sure to work the polish down enohugh by hand.

2wheelsx2
08-08-2002, 05:07 PM
Yup. Definitely can be done for minor swirls. But make sure you set aside about an hour per panel and be ready to make multiple passes.

For heavy swirls, I would say forget it. Your arm would fall off before you made a dent in the swirls.

jrush
08-08-2002, 05:13 PM
Gosh, I guess I really shoiuld invest in a PC. So, where is the best place to pick one up, and what all do I need? Do I need some kind of pad kit from CMA or something?

2wheelsx2
08-08-2002, 05:39 PM
Do a search, but I think everyone mentions Coastal Tools. They have a bonus kit that`s a good deal. As for pads, everyone prefers something different. I have personally only used the original PC pad and Meguiar`s, but many here use pad kits from CMA, Meguiars, 3M, etc. I think you might have to experiment a bit. If you want to go by ones which are known qualities, and which a lot of people use, go with the CMA or Meguiar`s.

imported_seres
08-08-2002, 05:48 PM
Lowes has the PC 7336 for about $109. Then you can order the pad kit from CMA ~ you`ll love your PC!! :xyxthumbs