PDA

View Full Version : Should I clay after body shop work?

lpandroc
08-08-2002, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone....I just had my 2 doors keyed on my 2000 Volvo....I know I can trat the doors with Klasse for a few months...but since my car was in the shop for 3 days...should I clay the thing and re-AIO/SG...The paint does not feel to rough...so Im sure very little overspray..If any at all..maybe Ill do a little touch up with SG perhaps?...They washed the car after the painting to get the dust off...terrible job may I add...Any suggestions..let me know...Thanks..lance

shaf
08-08-2002, 02:41 PM
Woah. I wasn`t around the same time as he was, but you type very similar to... "another" member the old-timers will know. ;)

If the panel you`re talking about has been repainted, don`t wax or Klasse it for 1-3 months - ask the shop (if they even have a clue). As for claying, wash the car yourself then feel the paint for overspray or whatnot. If you think it needs claying then do it, if not then don`t.

janderson
08-08-2002, 03:05 PM
That is not the best idea. Lance, first of all, I am sorry to hear about your car. That stinks. I am glad that you were able to get it fixed. When my BMW was in an accident, I had to get the front quarter pannel re-painted. The first thing that I asked was whether or not I should clay and Klasse the car.

Almost everyone on the board said don`t. Auto paint does need some time to cure. I would wait at least 30 days. This means no washing, no wiping, no nothing. You can do more damage than good.

Patience is the key with this situation. Don`t worry about the car in the meantime. If the car gets really nasty, I would use a good shampoo, and then a very light washing (with a MF mit). I would probably do a drive dry (you know . . . when you drive around until the water is off of your car).

Show some pics if you have a chance.

Best regards.

thegeek
08-08-2002, 06:28 PM
I don`t really understand, but I think he`s talking about claying the areas around the parts that got painted? If so, I`m pretty sure it`d be fine to clay them.

shaf
08-08-2002, 06:35 PM
It`s okay to wash it too. Just don`t wax.

lpandroc
08-09-2002, 07:13 AM
thanks gang...will do a spot sheck and look for any areas I need to address

boywonder
08-09-2002, 10:44 AM
Personally, I would not advise claying or applying Klasse for a minimum of 30-60 days. This will give the paint sufficient time to cure.