PDA

View Full Version : Microscope, magnifying glass, etc. How can I see the paint and sealant close up?

couch16
08-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Others have recommended using a magnifying glass to see defects in the paint.

I was wondering if anybody knows a way to get an even closer look at the paint. Perhaps using a microscope?

It would be great to be able to tell how much clear coat is left, whether there`s any wax left on the surface, if all the SG is gone, etc.

Any ideas?

imported_Aurora40
08-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Well, it might be a bit tough to put your paint under a microscope. I mean, usually you view a sample of something and it`s on a slide. I don`t think you`re going to take tin-snips to a corner of your car so you can observe it. I imagine it would be quite difficult and risky to your paint to try to put a microscope on the hood or something. Also, to see the thickness of paint or protectant, you`d need to look at a cross-section of it. I don`t think you want to do that...

imported_edschwab1
08-08-2002, 01:48 PM
Goto Radio Shack and buy 30x Magnifying glass. Do a search here for the right one.

Eric

jjagain
08-08-2002, 02:02 PM
you can use a microscope, but be prepared to pay $$$ for one that will do what you want.

You`ll first need some kind of top lighting as opposed to backlighting of the sample (your paint). as well as a few different objective lenses.

When you focus with the highest mag, you should be able to focus on the paint and as you zoom out, the paint will go out of focus and you`ll see the wax/whatever is on the surface in focus.

I know this works because I do it all the time to detect films that are around 1-2 microns thick.

BoxsterCharlie
08-08-2002, 06:32 PM
It sure would be interesting to see what is going on a near-molecular scale. I mean, we all hear stuff about layering, etc., but am I the only one here who, in his darker moments, suspects that each time you apply a layer of something you are just wiping off what used to be there?

There has to be some scientific experiments about this, although perhaps just internal lab stuff at wax companies?

-Charlie

boywonder
08-08-2002, 07:40 PM
Another thing you might want to use is a Jeweler`s Loupe. You can also use a Printer`s Loupe to see defects in the paint.

BradE
08-08-2002, 07:52 PM
A microscope will not allow you to measue the amount of clearcoat left. You will need an electronic paint thickness gauge for that, about $500-$600 for this alone. You will also not be able to determine the amount of wax/sealant on the car either.

A 30x lighted magnifier will help examine paint problems, but Radio Shack no longer makes a 30x magnifier. The lowest they currently make is 60x, and that is too strong to see paint defects. Sorry. :down