PDA

View Full Version : 3M - Which is least abrasive?

paulisher
08-08-2002, 11:36 AM
Going with the theory of always use the least abrasive way possible,

If I use 3M SMR on a White Polishing Pad and am not satisfied with the results, should I move to 3M SMR on a Yellow Cutting Pad or 3M FI-II on a White Polishing Pad? Which would be less abrasive? :nixweiss

Thanks.

Antym15
08-08-2002, 03:36 PM
SMR is listed as a glaze/polish by 3M. While FI-II is listed as a rubbing compound. So logic would dictate that the SMR is by virtue of being a glaze/polish makes it automatically less harsh/volatile. Also, SMR contains oils that act as a cover up, just like IHG... I dunno about the FI-II... it may not contain those same cover-up chemicals. I`m also pretty sure that the FI-II is the next logical step regarding going up a step in harshness from SMR.

I don`t know what the differences are in the color of pads though... yellow/white... harsh, and harsher?

HTH

Colin

paulisher
08-08-2002, 04:00 PM
The pads I was talking about were the CMA pads. The white pad is a polishing pad and is less harsh than the yellow pad which is a cutting pad. The white pad is less abrasive.

I still don`t know if the FI-II with a white pad would be more or less abrasive than the SMR with a yellow pad though. :( Anyone?

:sosad