PDA

View Full Version : Car Bras

Pages : [1] 2

TurboCat
08-08-2002, 06:02 AM
My one year anniversary with my Passat is coming up next week! :) I love it, but have picked up numerous teeny paint chips at the bottom of the hood (and my car is black, so it shows more). I am planning to touch up the paint chips, then wax and cover with a car bra / front end protector.

I have never purchased a car bra before, but am concerned because I hear that if not used properly it can damage your clear coat. I am planning to put it on the car only when I am taking a long highway trip and during the winter months. That seems to be when I pick up those little chips. And of course during that time I will take it off to wash and wax too.

I also plan on getting the VW car bra rather than an aftermarket one because I would think it would fit the best. Nothing is worse than a bra that doesn`t fit! :eek:

Do any of you experienced "bra users" have any suggestions or tips?"

AD Qi
08-08-2002, 06:27 AM
I have a bra for my BMW Z3. Not only does it provide protection, but it adds to the looks. As a bra should do.

Of course care must be taken when fitting your car with its first bra. Nothing worse than an ill fitting bra. Have the sales person demonstrate how to adjust the straps so your bra doesn`t flap around in the breeze.

You need to look under the bra every now and then to check for dust/grit and other foreign objects. Its not the bra that causes problems but what might get into the bra.

Its a good idea to wash your bra when it gets soiled. I find using the extra mild soap I use on my rag top is just fine for cleaning the inside of the bra. If you don`t take your bra off, you can just hose it down when you wash the car. Of course if you don`t take your bra off ,then you might get some raised eyebrows from your neighbors.

You`ll find that you`ll get a lot of looks from other drivers. You know how guys are, they love looking at a nice fitting bra.:shocked

topnotchtouch
08-08-2002, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by TurboCat

My one year anniversary with my Passat is coming up next week! :) I love it, but have picked up numerous teeny paint chips at the bottom of the hood (and my car is black, so it shows more). I am planning to touch up the paint chips, then wax and cover with a car bra / front end protector.

I have never purchased a car bra before, but am concerned because I hear that if not used properly it can damage your clear coat. I am planning to put it on the car only when I am taking a long highway trip and during the winter months. That seems to be when I pick up those little chips. And of course during that time I will take it off to wash and wax too.

I also plan on getting the VW car bra rather than an aftermarket one because I would think it would fit the best. Nothing is worse than a bra that doesn`t fit! :eek:

Do any of you experienced "bra users" have any suggestions or tips?"

Turbocat,

I use a car bra on my 01 Mustang. I find I need to remove it every time it rains to make sure the underside of the bra is clean so that there aren`t any particles embedded in the material that can rub against the paint. That is where the damage comes from. I too really only put the bra on for long trips or if I know I am going to be on roads with construction which is going on a lot where I live so it is pretty much on all the time for now.

I would have to disagree though with your assumption that a bra from the dealer will fit better. The best fitting bras I have found come from a company called Perfect Fit Car Bras. They have one for the Passat (http://www.carbras.com/perfectfit/bigcars/vw_passat2.htm). Take a look.

Hope that helps :)

TurboCat
08-08-2002, 07:21 AM
:xyxthumbs WOW, Bob what a great looking bra!!! (gee, I think that`s the first time I`ve complimented a guy on his bra) :D

Nice Mustang too! Thanks for the link, I`ll check out that website! :up

Spork
08-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Funny thing this is the first time I have seen a post on bras that was not totally bashing them. In my personal experience they are not worth it. I have had to buff many scratches from them and have seen paint damaged beond repair. I would say if you can take the ridiculous looks and want to hide the front end forever then go for it but you better off without it if you want the paint to look good. IMHO It seems there are so many times that it should be off the car that I do not see any merit to them.

topnotchtouch
08-08-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by MiataPaul

Funny thing this is the first time I have seen a post on bras that was not totally bashing them. In my personal experience they are not worth it. I have had to buff many scratches from them and have seen paint damaged beond repair. I would say if you can take the ridiculous looks and want to hide the front end forever then go for it but you better off without it if you want the paint to look good. IMHO It seems there are so many times that it should be off the car that I do not see any merit to them.

Everyone has the right to their own opinions :) I for one have been using car bras from Perfect Fit for the past 5 years and they have not done one bit of damage to my paint, no scratches, no hazing NOTHING :) Just like anything else though, you need a quality bra. I have seen so many out there that are just crap.

Ill fitting bras tend to flap and that is where you run into problems especially if there is dirt under the bra. I would imagine the damage you see is more attributable to neglect rather than just the fact that there is a bra on the car.

If you go to the link in my signature you will see I have been using Perfect Fit car bras on my last two cars.

adjulian
08-08-2002, 11:36 AM
Have you ever considered Xpel or Stongard? It is a clear polyurethane film that is custom cut for your particular car. I have an xpel system on both my BMW and our Explorer Limited. Constant protection all of the time without having to deal with taking the bra on and off. You treat the surface just as you would any other painted surface on the car. It is considered permanent, but you can remove it without damage to your paint.

Check out more info at www.xpel.com or do a search on it. I know I have some pics lurking out there with xpel on my BMW as does Brad B and others.

Ken B
08-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by FredsZ3

I have a bra for my ***. Not only does it provide protection, but it adds to the looks. As a bra should do.

Of course care must be taken when fitting your car with its first bra. Nothing worse than an ill fitting bra. Have the sales person demonstrate how to adjust the straps so your *** don`t flap around in the breeze.

You need to look under the bra every now and then to check for dust/grit and other foreign objects. Its not the bra that causes problems but what might get into the bra.

Its a good idea to wash your bra when it gets soiled. I find using the extra mild soap I use on my rag top is just fine for cleaning the inside of the bra. If you don`t take your bra off, you can just hose it down when you wash up. Of course if you take your bra off ,then you might get some raised eyebrows from your neighbors.

You`ll find that you`ll get a lot of looks from others. You know how guys are, they love looking at a nice fitting bra.:shocked

I edited the original quote as my dirty mind translated it... It migh come in handy one day, If I ever need to talk to someone about their first bra

:bounce :eek:

Brad B
08-08-2002, 01:22 PM
Here is a pic of my S4 where the entire front bumper, grille surround and air dam is covered in Xpel. I do like the fact that it is protected 24/7. I do, however have a Colgan bra for the Boxster which fits well and I like the looks of the new "carbon fiber" texture. Problem is, when you get lazy and forget to put it on is when you will get a chip. The next car I get I will put Xpel on again. The only downside, for me, is that I don`t like Xpel, or any other clear film, on the top hood surface. It is somewhat noticable to the fanatical eye and I like bare metal there so it leaves it somewhat exposed. So for long highway road trips I feel somwhat vunerable. Maybe I need the Colgan-type bra also! ;)

Or is that a "mansier" :p

http://www.fototime.com/8D145C6CC9F64A8/standard.jpg

louissc
08-08-2002, 01:31 PM

only get a bra from the dealership...its the only one that will fit perfectly

ive had one for 2 years...only problem is i had to polish bra line twice a year..

dont take it off unless you wash before putting it back on.

it can be machine washed for dirt....do not dry in the dryer. rinse thouroughly after wash to make sure all detergents are out.

enjoy....i think it adds to the look

topnotchtouch
08-08-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by 98altySE

only get a bra from the dealership...its the only one that will fit perfectly

ive had one for 2 years...only problem is i had to polish bra line twice a year..

dont take it off unless you wash before putting it back on.

it can be machine washed for dirt....do not dry in the dryer. rinse thouroughly after wash to make sure all detergents are out.

enjoy....i think it adds to the look

I agree with everything you said except for #1, that is just plain hoouey! Take a look at the bra on my car at

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=41179650&photoID=41179786&security=huxVok

I challange you to find one anywhere that fits better. I know for a fact that Ford`s doesn`t. I have yet to see a factory bra that fits better than a good aftermarket one.

Just my 2 cents :)

tkr128
08-08-2002, 07:44 PM
Do the clear films protect against damage from scraping something or like a light bump from another car where some paint may come off? Will the film take the damage and leave the bumper safe?

louissc
08-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by rjstaaf

I agree with everything you said except for #1, that is just plain hoouey! Take a look at the bra on my car at

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=41179650&photoID=41179786&security=huxVok

I challange you to find one anywhere that fits better. I know for a fact that Ford`s doesn`t. I have yet to see a factory bra that fits better than a good aftermarket one.

Just my 2 cents :)

sorry...thats just what worked on my car

mskent1
08-08-2002, 09:17 PM
Here is a pretty informative article on the subject:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/concours_corner/concours_corner-5.htm

tslugmo
08-27-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by rjstaaf

I would have to disagree though with your assumption that a bra from the dealer will fit better. The best fitting bras I have found come from a company called Perfect Fit Car Bras. They have one for the Passat (http://www.carbras.com/perfectfit/bigcars/vw_passat2.htm). Take a look.

Bob,

Actually, I was under the impression that PerfectFit is the company that makes the OEM bras for VW. I was looking for one for my Jetta, and found that Colgan made one that was only slightly different than the OEM/PF one, in that it had mesh over the grille area, which I`m hoping will help reduce the bug mess on the front. I was impressed by the alleged "exclusive automatic tensioner system" which adjusts itself on the PerfectFit bras. Not sure about the details on that one, though. Haven`t put my Colgan on yet, but I`ve heard good things about it, and intend to use it for road trips only.

-gmo