PDA

View Full Version : Freshman

Agent 09
08-07-2002, 10:19 PM
Hi! :wavey

I`m new here. I have a few beginner questions for all you experianced people. ;)

1) Can I use a terry cloth applicator to wash my car?

2) Could you give me step by step, detailed instructions on how to polish? PLEASE!

:)

3) Any other solutions to getting rid of swirl marks other than polishing?

4) I`m in Canada, can someone give me tips/suggestions on how to protect my car from the brutal Canadian winter?

Thanks!

:wavey

imported_dl9589
08-07-2002, 10:20 PM
I`d suggest downloading the Autopia e-book and reading through that, the first 8 chapters are free, and will give you a good start.

samiam513
08-07-2002, 10:27 PM
1) Can I use a terry cloth applicator to wash my car?

Use a wash mitt. Applicator is way too small, and is not made for washing.

2) Could you give me step by step, detailed instructions on how to polish? PLEASE!

Do a search. Many different ways depending on what you are using.

3) Any other solutions to getting rid of swirl marks other than polishing?

You can only get rid of them using a polish like 3m SMR or Meg #9. everything else will fill them.

4) I`m in Canada, can someone give me tips/suggestions on how to protect my car from the brutal Canadian winter?

Keep it clean, and always have a nicece coat of a polymer like zaino on it. www.zainobros.com

Agent 09
08-07-2002, 10:45 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply so far. I`m looking forward to reading more. I just want to go in depth with my questions:

When polishing, we only apply and buff up and down, not side to side, not circular. Again i`m new, so i`m very clueless about polishing. What I`m questioning about is, do we apply up and down the very same spot more than once, or once is enough. I`m afraid when I apply the polish, by going up and down more than once over the same spot will create damages or something...

I hope that makes sense...if not, I understand, and I`ll try to explain it better...

samiam513
08-07-2002, 11:29 PM
do it until the imperfection is gone.

shaf
08-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Hello :wavey

If you re-do it often, a glaze followed by a wax will hide very minor swirling, but better to do is to polish it out. When using light polishes for swirl removal you should work the area for a while to break down the polish before moving on.

Best thing to do is buy the book or read the articles, then spend some quality time with the search engine to fill in any questions you still have.