PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar

ragtopgolfer
08-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Good Afternoon !

I have never clayed my car before and was wondering if someone would walk through the process. (I did a detailed search and was unable to find something as specific and through. I will avoid putting the information I gathered. So please walk me through the process not so much the products to use. Just as detailed as possible of all the steps preceding the claying & actually claying. If you use any abbreviations it would be greatly appreciated if you could spell it out as well.

Thank you guys so much ! :cool:

imported_dl9589
08-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Well, I don`t know if the way I do it is technically the way it`s supposed to be done, but it works.

I just take the clay, and cut it into four equal pieces. Take one of your pieces and a QD (Quick Detailer), or any other kind of lubrication (soapy water) and spray the lubrication directly on the panel you are planning to clay, try to keep the area to a 3` x 3` area.

With the lubrication on the paint, spray a little spritz of lubrication directly on your clay bar, then set the clay bar on your paint, and rub (NOT hard, kinda let it glide) across your paint, almost as if your trying to color that section of your vehicle. You will feel the clay bar pick up the contaminents, and as you keep going over that spot eventually it will slide smoothly over the paint. After you are done with that section buff off the left over QD till dry.

After each section/panel I do, I kneed the clay bar until I get a clean surface to clay with.

IF you drop the clay bar on the ground, THROW IT AWAY immediatly, it is ruined. Some people try and pick out the dirt, or cut off the part of the clay that landed on the ground, but I would rather just pick up another piece of my clay and start fresh.

I always wash my vehicle after claying it. You will have to reapply your wax after claying the vehicle if your using a carnauba wax.

Lemonxxs
08-06-2002, 03:18 PM
You may want to invest in the Autopia Guide to detailing E-book....

It will answer this question and a bunch more....plus it helps support the forum!:wavey