PDA

View Full Version : To cover or not

sebring dan
08-06-2002, 11:33 AM
I have a 2002 Sebring Convertible and unfortunately do not have a garage. I try very hard to keep the exterior clean, unfortunately it is my everyday car and it does get somewhat grimy. My question is, do you think it`s better to leave it uncovered to the elements or cover it carefully and run the risk of slight scratches. I`m new to detailing so any help is greatly appreciated..

Almost forgot, I take the train into boston very day and park near the rail station...

Glossequation
08-06-2002, 11:48 AM
Any protection from the elements is better than letting it sit outside exposed to the sun, etc. As for the scratches, all it would take in my opinion is a QD before the cover goes on and you`ll be all set.

lonestar
08-06-2002, 12:51 PM
I`ve been debating whether to get a cover. The benefits are obvious, but it doesn`t seem very practical and I wonder how often I would actually use it. If it`s raining or snowing you can`t put it on and that`s when you need it. How do you dry out the cover when it`s wet?

I sure wish I had a cover on my car during last night`s storm though.

sebring dan
08-07-2002, 12:35 PM
In researching different covers at http://www.properautocare.com/covercraft-usa.html I discovered that you can machine wash and dry.

My quote for the custom cover was $187

Dan

lonestar
08-07-2002, 01:16 PM
I think the only cover that doesn`t need commercial-size machines for washing and drying is the WeatherShield. And that`s more than the price you quoted.

Also, I called and they don`t recommend putting the covers in machines at all as it can damage them.

vroddad
08-08-2002, 04:43 AM
My Mazda factory cover is weatherproof and I wouldn`t mind using it in snow/rain I do worry about swirls/scratches though. But I`m getting ready for the every day dusting to happen whenever so then the cover will be safe.

jerry@robs
08-08-2002, 04:53 AM
can you get a tent/canopy instead? especially the foldable ones?

such as this thread.... http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13695