PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Wash Q`s and SMR Pad Q`s

paulisher
08-06-2002, 01:32 AM
I am trying (and trying and trying) to prepare my girlfriends car for Zaino. I have a couple of questions about the Zaino process...

1) How many ounces of Dawn per gallon of water do you use to wash the vehicle? I don`t want to make it too strong, but I do want it strong enough to get rid of the oils and such.

2) I am looking at running 3M FI-II and SMR on the vehicle, but I can`t decide what pads to use. I see some people using Cutting and Polishing pads with SMR, and others using Cutting and Polishing Pads with FI-II and then Polishing pads with SMR. I originally was thinking about using SMR with a polishing pad, then if that didn`t work going to FI-II with a polishing pad and if that didn`t work going to FI-II with a cutting pad. Should I change that order?

Thank you.

ultrajim49
08-06-2002, 01:42 AM
Hi, Smitty,

Two ounces in a 3-gallon bucket is strong enough , you`ll have lots of sudsing.As a matter of fact , you realy can`t be too strong, just rince verry well, should have no prob whatsoever with that step.

can`t realy help you with the second step,

but you can`t go wrong by starting with the least agressive step, evaluate and if nececeary go a tat stronger.

Happy detailing

paulisher
08-06-2002, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything ok with the Dawn. I was going to mix 1 ounce per gallon, but two ounces per 3 gallons works for me.

Thanks again.

ultrajim49
08-07-2002, 01:09 AM
You`re verry welcome

allways glad I can help

:wavey

ClayBartrug
08-08-2002, 11:38 AM
Start with the less aggressive pad and product approach. Though it really does depend on your car`s surface an needs. Originally, I used SMR with a polishing pad and max speed of 3. I`ve since found that I get better results with a cutting pad, and high speeds. But try the polishing pad first, and work it in on speeds 5 and 6 with moderate pressure. Perhaps that`s what i did wrong first time around. :nixweiss

Like cvc said, you can never go wrong with trying the less aggressive approach first, and working your way down. Best results are often discovered by some trial. Then you`ll be better off the next time application of SMR is necessary.

good luck!

panapower
08-08-2002, 12:32 PM
FI-II or SMR?

paulisher
08-08-2002, 12:47 PM
PanaPower,

FI-II is more abrasive than SMR.

panapower
08-08-2002, 12:53 PM
:xyxthumbs