PDA

View Full Version : I couldnt believe my freakin eyes and ears

Pages : [1] 2

GP Infinity
08-04-2002, 09:51 PM
Here I was watching the DIY network on Saturday night.. the Queen of Clean is doing her show. It was on how to clean your car inside and out.. She starts off with recommending dishwashing liquid, a natural sea sponge and using old towels from your bathroom.. I nearly had a stroke!! scared

How can they put this stuff on the air? then she uses soap to clean the leather interior?! what the he.... shocked

I just sent a letter to DIY but how many people are going to screw up their nice car based upon this supposed expert??

what do you guys think?

Dana:::

:confused:

bjwebster
08-04-2002, 09:52 PM
I Think A E-Mail Link Is In Order!

caddyman
08-04-2002, 09:53 PM
A warm, mild soap is the best for leather, for general cleaning! Only like hand soap though. And very watered down.

The rest of the advice...:scared :nono

GP Infinity
08-04-2002, 09:55 PM
per your request...

www.diynet.com

comments@diynet.com

Redcar GUY
08-04-2002, 09:57 PM
ooooooooooo boy:(

bjwebster
08-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Under Their Car Detailing Section They Say

"When it comes to cleaning a car`s exterior, perhaps the best advice is, don`t use dish soap. It will strip away wax as well as dirt. Car-wash soap and a good cloth mitt are much safer and will remove dirt without disturbing the wax finish. Here are a few additional suggestions:"

One Hand Doesent Know What The Other is Doing!

GP Infinity
08-04-2002, 10:02 PM
DIY > Spruce It Up With the Queen of Clean: Outside the Castle > Episode SCO-105 > Outside Car and Bumper Sticker

Outside Car and Bumper Sticker

From "Cleaning Your Chariot" Episode SCO-105

The Queen of Clean®, Linda Cobb, shares ideas on cleaning the outside of your car.

Figure A

Figure B

Figure C

Cleaning the Outside of Your Car

Before you wash your car you need to clean your windshield. Wet it down and then sprinkle some baking soda on the window. Scrub with a nylon sponge scrubber using circular motions. Be sure to clean the wipers good (figure A) because that is where the grease is trapped. If you don`t clean the wipers well, you will have grease marks on your window the next time you use them.

To remove bumper stickers, take a blow dryer and turn it to high. Heat the sticker and take an old credit card and start pushing the sticker up. Keep heating and pulling and it should come right up. The top layer of the sticker may come off first; if so, just do the same thing to the bottom layer.

To remove tar from the car, put some linseed oil on a cloth and pat the tar spots (figure B) with the oil. Leave it on for approximately 10 to 15 minutes and then remoisten the cloth and clean it right off. The linseed oil will remove stickiness and will not hurt the finish of your car.

Note: Use caution when using chemicals and read label instructions thoroughly.

If you have rust on the chrome of your car, you can remove it with a piece of tin foil. Just crinkle up a piece of foil and rub the rust right off.

To remove road film from your headlights and tail lights, use the baking soda paste like you used on the windows. Do this before you wash the car.

When you are washing the car, start at the top and wet it down first. Use warm water to keep cracks from forming in the finish.

If you use dishwashing liquid to wash the car, use it sparingly. Dishwashing liquid works as well as car washing liquid when you have a good coat of wax on the car. If you do have a good coat of wax on the car, the water will bead up. If not, it is time for a new coat of wax.

Use a natural sponge to wash the car and use a circular motion.

Rinse the car thoroughly, making sure you remove all the soap. After rinsing the car, dry it with old towels. Finish the car off with a good chamois. Either drag it across the surface of the car (figure C) or use a circular motion to give it a great shine.

Queen of Clean`s Dirty Little Secrets:

Remove bird droppings on the windshield with a waterless hand cleaner. Let it stand a few minutes and rub off.

bjwebster
08-04-2002, 10:07 PM
If you use dishwashing liquid to wash the car, use it sparingly. Dishwashing liquid works as well as car washing liquid when you have a good coat of wax on the car. If you do have a good coat of wax on the car, the water will bead up. If not, it is time for a new coat of wax.

Yeah, Now That Good Coat Of Wax Is Gone!

Use a natural sponge to wash the car and use a circular motion.

Nuff Said!

Rinse the car thoroughly, making sure you remove all the soap. After rinsing the car, dry it with old towels. Finish the car off with a good chamois. Either drag it across the surface of the car (figure C) or use a circular motion to give it a great shine.

Thats Right, Use That Old Towel and Chamois, With The Swirls You Introduced While Washing Earlier, It Really Doesent Matter!

SergC
08-04-2002, 10:12 PM
:scared :scared OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thevolvoguy
08-05-2002, 02:07 AM
If you have rust on the chrome of your car, you can remove it with a piece of tin foil. Just crinkle up a piece of foil and rub the rust right off.

Right and scratch the chrome finish right off too.

jerry@robs
08-05-2002, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by thevolvoguy

Right and scratch the chrome finish right off too.

Then you won`t have rust... :) :xyxthumbs

shaf
08-05-2002, 03:59 AM
This is an example of how a little knowledge (and the ability to spread it) can be dangerous. :(

sponges :nono Even if you just stop and think about this, it`s a bad idea...

jerry@robs
08-05-2002, 04:14 AM
Natural sea sponge ain`t that bad.... I have a couple of them as well, sure are softer than my chenille washmitts...

Here`s the Mayor`s article about it as well.. in the Detailing Articles >> Washing section

"I prefer a natural (not synthetic) sea sponge, cotton chenille pad, or sheepskin wash mitt for washing. These tools have a large number of fine filaments that draw dirt and grime away from the surface being cleaned into their internal structure. Synthetic (flat sided) sponges and wash clothes can trap dirt, grit, and grime on the surface which can scratch your car`s paint. If you use a natural sea sponge, use the outer "soft" side for washing, not the harder "cut" side, and always rinse new sponges thoroughly to remove any remaining sand or shell particles. 100% cotton chenille wash mitts and pads are also excellent as they hold lots of soapy water and are gentle to your paint. "

imported_memnuts
08-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by dboat

Here I was watching the DIY network on Saturday night.. the Queen of Clean is doing her show. It was on how to clean your car inside and out.. She starts off with recommending dishwashing liquid, a natural sea sponge and using old towels from your bathroom.. I nearly had a stroke!! scared

How can they put this stuff on the air? then she uses soap to clean the leather interior?! what the he.... shocked

I just sent a letter to DIY but how many people are going to screw up their nice car based upon this supposed expert??

what do you guys think?

Dana:::

:confused:

I saw the same show and quickly lost all faith in their research dept. Everything one is not suppose to do to clean a car was stated to do.

Could you believe she said that dish washing soap is interchangeable with car washing shampoo. :nono. At that point I reached for the remote but before she told the client to use old towels to wash the car..... :down :shocked :scared

ragtopgolfer
08-05-2002, 09:57 AM
What a retard!!! :mad:

Someone should mess their car up & sue her! !!