PDA

View Full Version : 6" Counterweight 4 the PC - Not required??

paco
08-03-2002, 08:57 AM
In supporting my canadian group buy, several of us are picking up a W64DA - the velcro backing plate by Meguiars. Here`s where things get a bit interesting.

The G100 (Porter Cable relabeled for Meguiars) comes with a 5" counterweight and doesn`t require changing! So then I check the size of the backing plate and it slightly under 5". Granted the pads are 6" but the velcro on the back of the pads is 5".

I then called Meguiar`s and they also feel that changing the counterweight to a 6" on a Porter Cable 7424 isn`t required.

I`ll call Porter Cable on Monday (customer service is closed on the weekends) and see how they think about it.

I haven`t had a chance to look at the size of the Porter Cable hock and loop version or the 3M one but I seem to recall they were 6". If that`s case, then it would be understandable why you need to change the couterweight as most of the weight is associated with the backing plate and not the few ounces that a pad weigh. Anyone out there with the 3M or PC plates, any insight?

Something to consider if you`re using a Meguiars hock and loop plate.

Paco

mikenomad57@hotmail.com
08-03-2002, 09:13 AM
The 6" cw gives the pc less vibration and smoother operation. :)

Propaganda13
08-03-2002, 09:16 AM
With the PC, I read that when you use the 54745 6" Foam Polishing Pad. Due to its light weight and the small-diameter backing pad used (included with pad), it can be used with either the 5" pad or 6" pad counterweight.

Or just buy the 6" counterwieght for the $1.95 plus shipping that www.coastaltool.com has them for.

paco
08-03-2002, 09:32 AM
But I do have a source locally and will be picking them up on Tuesday anyway.

Good know that you can use though without it :up

Paco

vroddad
08-04-2002, 05:52 AM
I`ve run my PC with rubber contour pad (with heat holes :rolleyes: ) with both the 5" and 6" counterweights and I can`t feel a difference in vibration.

How smooth is my PC supposed to run? Mine is rather un-smooth.

JasonC8301
08-04-2002, 06:23 AM
If you have the 5 inch backing plate, then the 5 inch counter weight is fine.

I use the PC 7424 with the 5 inch counter weight with CMA`s 5 inch backing plate and 6 inch CMA pads (5 inch lambswool and terry though, darn those terry things are rough, use them to cleaner/wax beaters.)

Vibration, sure there are some, but I can`t compare it to anything. I do have pretty well worked arms after using it for a day, most people thing that my forearms are so hard because I master...well I`m not getting into that lol :)

Expect some vibration, should be like hmmm, holding a plam sander X2.

Jason