PDA

View Full Version : I want one that sucks

Chuckmotor
08-02-2002, 10:48 PM
and blows. Yep, it`s time to get a new vaccuum cleaner. I`ve been searching the archives for what is sufficient, and I keep coming accross different information.

Here`s what I want: the smaller the better (for portable use), 2 1/2 diameter hose, blower or blower port, and sufficient horsepower.

My question is, what is sufficient? I found a thread talking about how horsepower is scewed and it was suggested that no vac can achieve over something like 3 1/2 horsepower anyway. Is this true? I need a vac that can suck up water from carpet mats and pull up enough dirt from seats and floors. I`ve narrowed it down to two Shop Vacs and two Ridgids.

-Shop Vac 1) $60, 4.0 HP, 9 gallon, detachable blower, 1 1/4 hose (not sure what series, but it`s green)

-Shop Vac 2) $75, 5.0 HP, 12 gallon, blower port, 2 1/2 hose (Contractor Series)

-Ridgid 1) $50, 3.5 HP, 9 gallon, blower port, 2 1/2 hose

-Ridgid 2) $70, 5.0 HP, 12 gallon, blower port, 2 1/2 hose

Do I really need the extra horsepower of the models that cost about $20 more? Are there any other advantages to having one of these over the other?

jayder456
08-02-2002, 11:04 PM
For what it`s worth...

I think Rigid was one of the top rated models in a Consumer Reports article durng the past year or so. The article could also answer your questions about power/performance. Not certain, but think Sears had a model that also tested well. If you`re interested, you might search their web site or find the back issue at the library.

Cheers,

-KCD-

Chuckmotor
08-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by KCDoug

you`re interested, you might search their web site or find the back issue at the library.

Hmm... is there an easier way to find out?!

kkjv1
08-02-2002, 11:16 PM
I have the craftsman 3 gallon wet/dry vacuum blower. I works really well. It is very light, and not extremely big. It has a long electrical cord and a variety of attachments. I would suggest that if you get thes, to also purchase the micro attachments for hard to reach places. In my experience, it works better than the shop vacs. It is about 69 bucks i believe.

Here`s a link to the product

Sear`s 3HP 3gal wet / dry vac (http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1741711350.102 8347966@@@@&BV_EngineID=cciiadcflgfehmlcehgcemgdffmdfil.0&vertical=SEARS&pid=00917757000&bidsite=&vertical=SEARS&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes)

Hope this helps.

jayder456
08-02-2002, 11:46 PM
CR website isn`t too hard to get around in.

I can`t find my copy of the issue on wet/dry vacs, but I`m pretty sure Rigid was a standout - performance, filters, tool set, etc. Obviously, a larger motor should have more sucking/blowing power, but it`s hard to tell how much HP you really need. And higher priced units come with more features & conveniences that you`d have to determine if they are or real value to you.

Sorry I can`t personally be more help.

Good Luck.

-KCD-