PDA

View Full Version : What if Clay doesn`t remove overspray?

A4 No More
08-01-2002, 10:13 PM
Okay so I give up with auto body shops!!! A few month`s ago I had my BMW`s moldings painted and the shop got overspray all over the car. My fiance`s car got hit a few week`s ago and now it is back from another shop. There is overspray all over the car. On the BMW I went over it with some Mother`s clay and it easily removed the overspray. This time around the Mother`s Clay didn`t even put a dent in it!!! Next I tried some 3M FI machine compound and it really didn`t do much either? Is there anything I can do myself to remove this stuff???

Jngrbrdman
08-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Top of the Line has some suggestions for ya. :xyxthumbs

CLICK HERE (http://www.topoftheline.com/overspray.html)

I`ve never tried it, but it seems to be pretty good on overspray from what they say about it. Maybe you can shoot them an email with your problem and see if this stuff will fix it for you. I`m convinced that if it can be removed without sanding or repainting, then clay can do the trick. Its all about using the right stuff.

Andre'
08-01-2002, 11:21 PM
If it was spray paint a solvent would remove it, but it`s not. The finish may need to be wet sanded.

TortoiseAWD
08-02-2002, 08:41 AM
Clay Magic makes two grades of clay; the blue one ("fine grade") which a number of Autopians, including me, have used with good results, and there`s a red one ("medium grade") that is more agressive: http://www.automagic.com/specialt.htm. As I understand it, the red bar may leave fine scratches behind, but a follow up with an SMR should take care of it.

I`ve found CM blue and red clay at a local automotive paint shop here in Omaha; if you decide you want to give the red a shot, a paint store in your area might be a good place to try to find it.

Good luck,

Tort

A4 No More
08-03-2002, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the help! I think I am going to try the red clay.

KatyM45S
08-03-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by A4 No More

Okay so I give up with auto body shops!!! A few month`s ago I had my BMW`s moldings painted and the shop got overspray all over the car.

They didn`t take the moldings off first?