PDA

View Full Version : Boat Detailing??

zymolKK
07-16-2004, 11:33 PM
I need to clean up my dad`s boat - badly! Its partly black and some of it has faded very slightly. What products would be good for the gel-coat and the slight fading? I would liek to try the poorboy`s, but I`m open to all opinions!!! Thanks!!

clean4u
07-17-2004, 06:39 AM
im working on a boat right now it had medium to heavy oxidation. I used 3M Heavy Rubbing Compound on it. Follow up with a wax with carnauba of your choice!

mirrorfinishman
07-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Here are a few items that you could use for boat detailing depending on the exact age and condition of the boat. Keep in mind that it`s not really a good idea to use car detailing products. There are plenty of boat detailing products available at your local boat supply store. If you need more information about boat detailing, just shoot me an email at: canna@verizon.net

HEAVY DUTY OXIDATION REMOVER - Use a brand name Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover to polish-out extreme surface oxidation and other significant surface defects.

COLOR RESTORER - Use a brand name Color Restorer to polish-out mild surface oxidation, fine scratches, water spots and dullness.

BOAT POLISH - Use a brand name Boat Polish after the fiberglass gel coat has been pre-cleaned and all embedded contamination has been removed.

CHROME & STAINLESS STEEL POLISH - Use a brand name Chrome Polish to clean and polish metal surfaces.

CLEANER WAX - Use a name brand Cleaner Wax to clean, polish and protect in one easy application. Also removes light oxidation and mild surface contamination.

CARNAUBA WAX - Use a name brand Carnauba Wax to add a measure of protective luster to previously cleaned and polished fiberglass. Also good as a second coat of added protection of pre-cleaned stainless steel and chrome.

POLYMER SEALANT - Use a name brand Polymer Sealant to create an exceptional long lasting shine. It also provides maximum protection and outlasts ordinary wax.

midget
03-08-2008, 10:07 AM
What product for grey rubber handles that have turned black (from algae?) do you recommend?

jaybs02
03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
You could try Poorboy`s Trim restore, or there has been talk of black wow that seems to be getting some good comments as well.

Good luck
"J"

midget
03-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Hello again, "J". Are those cleaners or just "shiners"? I need something to remove the black algae(?) off the handles and restore them to their original light grey color .

CharlesW
03-08-2008, 12:55 PM
What product for grey rubber handles that have turned black (from algae?) do you recommend?
Two products I use regularly on our boat might work for you. I can`t say for sure since I`ve never had a severe mildew problem.

1. Amazing Roll-Off:
Amazing Roll-Off Spray it on and watch the dirt roll off! (http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html)
From the ad:
Note: Amazing Roll-Off works wonders on mildew! Wash mildew off your boat in minutes, even if it has been there for weeks. Keep mildew at bay with regular washings with Roll-Off!

2. 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner:
303 Products Inc.: 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner (http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=436)
This product does a good job of most cleaning, but again, I haven`t used it on bad mildew stains.

Both products are supposed to be safe for rubber and vinyl and getting the handles clean and then having them fall apart wouldn`t be a good thing. :)

midget
03-08-2008, 04:12 PM
303 Products Inc.: 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner Good idea, Charles. I`ve been meaning to get some 303 for the car anyway. Just another reason to do it. If that doesn`t work, maybe I`ll try the "Amazing". Thanks.