PDA

View Full Version : The review of P21S (S100) that really counts (because I did the review)!

Scottwax
08-01-2002, 12:13 AM
I was getting real low on Souveran and had been wanting to try P21S since pretty much everyone says the shine and wet look are very similar to Souveran and of all the carnubas, it was first in the Guru wax tests by a pretty good margin. I made note of all the posts that said their version they sell in (mostly) Harley stores called S100 is exactly the same product as P21S and it is $10 less. Since my last detail yesterday was near a Harley dealer, I stopped in and found the display.

I picked up a container of S100 and the paint cleanser ($14.95 and $8.95, respectively). Good deal, since P21S is $24.95 on every website that sells it. I wanted to test it immediately, but we had passing thunderstorms and I had my bowling league at 7 pm, so not only was the weather not cooperating, but I wouldn`t have had time anyway.

My first car today was supposed to be a BMW 745 Li, but he drove his F-150 instead and wanted it completely detailed-and his 17-year-old son had been driving it.

I had to really go after the hood since it had been parked under a tree and had some sap and bird dookie damage, so I used Meguiars Dual Action C/P to get the rough stuff. I then used the paint cleanser all over the truck. I applied it with a slightly damp foam applicator in a straight line per the instructions and let haze lightly. Buffed off easily and the paint looked really good-the overall effect was very similar to Meguiars Swirl Free Polish (BSP line) and even has a similar scent. Most of the minor surface scratches were gone or greatly minimized the paint looked noticably blacker and glossier.

I then applied the S100 aka P21S using the supplied foam applicator, again applying in straight lines as recommended. It went on very easily and took very little to cover each section. I would wax 2-3 sections, then buff off (e. g. like the tailgate and one side of the bed, then remove the excess). It came off just as easily as Souveran does. The wax in the container feels harder than Souveran does, but spreads just as easily.

When my customer saw the truck, he was very pleased. The paint looked very wet and very black.

I then used it on my car when I got done for the day. I started with the paint cleanser-probably didn`t need to since I had 8 coats of Souveran on it over a base of Swirl Free Polish and Hand Polish (Meguiars BSP line again), but I figured the paint cleanser would remove most of the Souveran so the effect would purely be the P21S (S100). The paint cleanser leaves the paint nearly as slick as if it had been waxed and very bright and optically clear. I then used the wax and like on the truck, it went on and came off with little effort, and again with terrific results. Similar in shine and `shimmer` to Souveran and it also seemed to look a little brighter and a touch more reflective-although my paint is in such good shape it is really hard to see minute differences.

When my son (he is 13) looked at my car, his first comment was, "It looks like the Souveran." and he then proceeded to tell me about all the cheat codes for his newly rented Game Cube game he downloaded. Nice attention span...:D

Overall, I was very impressed with the results. Virtually indistiguishable from Souveran-with the exception of the seeminly brighter look at a much lower cost. $2.41 an ounce versus $8.74 an ounce. Guess which one I will be buying on a regular basis?

:xyxthumbs

chevyguy28
08-01-2002, 12:50 AM
Umm...you will be buying Zymol Vintage Glaze from now on because you hate to spend only $15 on a great wax and get excellent results too. :rolleyes: You`d rather spend $2200 because it comes in a cool case that holds 22 oz. ;)

shaf
08-01-2002, 02:54 AM
I love my S100 too. If nothing else than for its ease of use. It`s hard for someone newer to this like me to differentiate between all those Klasse layers and the S100, but I swear my car looked deeper and glossier after using S100. :)

Best of all, IT`S AVAILABLE IN CANADA!!! :D

imported_Intermezzo
08-01-2002, 09:57 AM
Great review Scottwax. I really like the paint cleanser b/c it is just as easy to use as the wax. Sometimes after using the cleanser, my wax looks and feels like it has already been waxed b/c it makes the surface very slick and leaves a bright, glossy shine as well.

It`s been almost a month and three car washes since I`ve applied a coat of P21S and I haven`t been able to notice any decline in shine or water-beading. Although the wax feels very similar to Souveran, I`d be willing to bet that it lasts longer.

HellrotCi
08-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Intermezzo Although the wax feels very similar to Souveran, I`d be willing to bet that it lasts longer. Are you saying P21S will last longer than Souveran or the other way around?:nixweiss

I`m tempted to try Souveran, but reviews like this and a few PMs from people here make me think Souveran is just more of the same. I switched from Blitz to S100 3 months ago and love the ease of use and shine, but the durability is weak. I wax my car every 2 to 3 weeks anyway so it`s not a big issue. When I use it on my wife`s car, which is parked outside during the day, it`s history after 4 to 5 weeks. There still might be some protection left after 5 weeks, but to me after I wash her car and the paint feels squeaky clean rather than slippery smooth, I`m breaking out the wax.

Kleanride
08-01-2002, 12:26 PM
Hey ScottWax,

How does it compare to American Shine in the shine department?

Also, what does it taste like? :nixweiss

imported_Intermezzo
08-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by HellrotCi

Are you saying P21S will last longer than Souveran or the other way around?:nixweiss

It`s been a while since I`ve used Souveran, but I would say that the P21S will outlast Souveran. All in all though, both products aren`t that great in the durability department. The car I use it on is garaged whenever not driven and I would say that it lasts about 2 months.

Scottwax
08-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Dale DeSteno

Hey ScottWax,

How does it compare to American Shine in the shine department?

Also, what does it taste like? :nixweiss

As far as pure reflectiveness goes, it is pretty similar, but S100 (or P21S) has more of a shimmery look than American Shine. It really doesn`t have a smell to it. I don`t know about durability since I haven`t had either wax long enough to know.

One thing though, S100/P21S is not to be used in direct sun or on hot paint according to their instructions. American Shine seems to work just as well on a hot surface as one in the shade and is just as easy on and off.

--------------------------------------------

Once I finish the bottle of paint cleanser, I will probably just use Meguiars Swirl Free Polish instead. The shine and ease of use is very similar, but the paint cleanser is $8.95 for 11.3 ounces, and I can get a gallon of Swirl Free for about $25. You do the math. :xyxthumbs

----------------------------------------------

At this point, my line up for my customers is shaping up as follows:

One step wax jobs-American Shine Carnuba (love the bubble gum smell and ability to wax in the sun)

2 step wax jobs-Swirl Free Polish and S100/P21S

3 step wax jobs-Swirl Free Polish, Hand Polish, S100/P21S

--------------------------------------------

BTW, I will be posting pics once I finish the roll of film in my camera.

NattyBumppo
08-02-2002, 06:25 AM
Thanks for that great review :up. I`m a recent P21s convert and am loving the ease of use and of course, the wonderful deep, warm glow that it imparts on my bright red F150. It`s been about 3 weeks since my last P21s application on the truck (not garaged) and it is still beading nicely and fairly slick and shiny. A QD after wash really brings the P21s back to life. It seems P21s / s100 shouldn;`t have any problems lasting 4 weeks (possibly longer) which is about all I need as I usually wax every month.

Mmmph
08-02-2002, 11:19 PM
S100 is the best wax I`ve used. Period.

Thinking about K or Z for this winter, though.

rufuz
08-05-2002, 04:30 AM
I read mmmph`s review here (http://www.autopia.ws/hwy/mmmph/index.html) and It was rather suggesting to try s100 ontop of #26. Should there but a "cure" time for the #26 or can you just apply the s100 rightwards?

Mmmph
08-05-2002, 05:48 AM
I applied the S100 a week after my last #26 application. It`s been 3 weeks since the S100 and it still looks incredible. I`ve washed it once, but I CCD and QD(#34) every couple of days.

shaf
08-05-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by rufuz

I read mmmph`s review here (http://www.autopia.ws/hwy/mmmph/index.html) and It was rather suggesting to try s100 ontop of #26. Should there but a "cure" time for the #26 or can you just apply the s100 rightwards? Some #26 users say there`s a cure time of 1-3 days, so I did s100 the next day, but I`m sure it doesn`t really hurt anything if you want to try it all in 1 day.

Scottwax
08-05-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Some #26 users say there`s a cure time of 1-3 days, so I did s100 the next day, but I`m sure it doesn`t really hurt anything if you want to try it all in 1 day.

I used Pinnacle Paste Glaz right after a coat of #26 because I didn`t check the mail early enough. I went out and got the mail and the PPG was in the box, so I had to try it immediately-no problems at all even though it was in the low 50`s that day. Made the nice wet look of #26 even deeper and wetter. I am sure S100/P21S would have a similar impact.

mrdetailer
08-07-2002, 12:29 AM
I tried P21S as a topcoat about 6 weeks ago. This was over a coat of 3M Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax. I asked P21S technical support and they said that it didn`t layer, and recommended reapplying the wax after 6 weeks.

On my darker car this appeared to be correct. Yesterday I washed the car 6 weeks after P21S was applied. The roof and trunk were half P21S and half Meguiars #26 the hood had Perfect-it only on it. Both the P21S and #26 were completely flat. 3M was still beading well. Color and depth were good on all sections.

We have a very dry climate and this car is outside all week during the day. It has rained at least once a week during that period, often leaving the famous dusty acid rain residue. Temperatures have frequently been in the high 90`s or over 100 degrees.

This morning I washed my white Subaru that had exactly the same treatment. On that finish P21S and Meguiars #26 still performed admirably.

I believe that the P21S and Meguiars simply cooked off on the dark car as it was in the sun. This means frequent applications in heat, and I have some personal doubts about it`s coping with snow, and 3-4 months where nothing can be done.

I hope the WAX on those very dark cars doesn`t burn off too quickly.