PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for trim?

Pages : [1] 2

Blackmirror
07-31-2002, 10:07 PM
I use Vinylex for rubber trimming and plastic trim. What do you guys use?

Hans Lee
08-01-2002, 06:26 AM
Before being initiated into the world of proper auto detailing, I was one of those silly individuals who trucked down to the local KMart and got some dreaded Armor All. After being enlightened through sources such as Autopia, I went out and purchased a product called 303 Protectant. It was highly recommended and I was very pleased with the results. It provides a high level of UV protection--reportedly the most UV protection of any product for rubber/vinyl. The second nice feature is that it is water based and leaves a nice enhancing matte finish--rather than an oily, glossy shine. Just used it on my wife`s new Passat--did all of the exterior plastic and rubber surfaces and it looked great. Even my wife commented on it and she rarely comments on these things since she has become somewhat complacent with my efforts to keep the cars in great shape. It is a little expensive--320z for $18 at carcrazy.net (best price I found and free shipping for orders over $20.00) The 303 website is 303products.com--you can buy directly from them or search to see if you have a retailer near you. Good luck!:xyxthumbs

Pats300zx
08-01-2002, 07:23 AM
I recently got some Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer and it works great. It is much thicker than Mothers B to B and seems to last longer.

imported_memnuts
08-01-2002, 07:38 AM
303 Aerospace Protectant. :xyxthumbs. It can be purchased locally at most Marine supply stores. 16oz ~ $10-$11. A little goes a long way. :wavey

swhtech
08-01-2002, 08:49 AM
Would 303 be a good product to put on my sidesteps of my MDX?

They are plastic, and I`d like to apply something to make them look good, but it can`t be greasy or slippery, obviously....any ideas would be great! I haven`t used 303 yet......thanks

laynlow
08-01-2002, 09:47 AM
Meguiars #40 for me!

imported_memnuts
08-01-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by swhtech

Would 303 be a good product to put on my sidesteps of my MDX?

They are plastic, and I`d like to apply something to make them look good, but it can`t be greasy or slippery, obviously....any ideas would be great! I haven`t used 303 yet......thanks

swhtech,

303 really is not very slippery ( water-based) and would do a great job in terms of appearance and protection, but I do not apply any to my pedals or steering wheel. I would consider the sidesteps as equivalent and a place not to apply. Nevertheless, give it a try and buff really well and see if conditions are safe. :wavey

swhtech
08-01-2002, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the reply......I don`t want anyone slipping off the boards and getting hurt, of course :(

imported_Intermezzo
08-01-2002, 10:45 AM
I alternate between 303, Pinnacle Vinyl/Rubber protectant, & Z-16. I`d like to try Meguiar`s #40 soon. I normally apply with a foam paint brush right before waxing (prevents wax stains on trim).

As for the side-steps, I would think that you should not apply any dressing on it. Although 303 isn`t solvent based, it still adds a degree of slipperyness. But like BlkZ28 said, it might not hurt to experiment a little.

Blackmirror
08-01-2002, 03:57 PM
No one uses Vinylex for trim? I think this is an excellent product too. Has high UV protection and is water based too. Leaves a natural matte finish and doesn`t look oily either. I was doing my interior plastic trim today and it worked great and enhanced the color of the plastic. Now I decided to try it on a shiny black plastic part of the interior where my speedometer is and got some streaks. You can see this under bright daylight. How can I remove those streaks? Just buff with MF towel?

imported_Dude
08-01-2002, 06:13 PM
Buffing with an MF towel should take care of them. If not, wash the area with water, or a mild Dawn/water mixture. That`ll remove the Vinylex and the streaks.

jmsc
08-01-2002, 07:16 PM
I use the old Black Again Exterior formula and the old Meguiar`s #42. Both are no longer produced anymore.

JasonC8301
08-01-2002, 07:54 PM
I use Valugard`s Trim N Molding renewer. I apply it to rough/textured trim with a toothbrush, then I come back around and buff.

Works well, doesn`t streak, and leaves no residue.

Jason

Blackmirror
08-04-2002, 06:43 PM
I was trying to look for this in stores like Pep Boys and Target. Couldn`t find it. Any other stores sell it?

mezzeta
08-04-2002, 08:27 PM
I`ve tryed several products, but the best I`ve found to date is

Stoner TrimShine. It sprays on but isn`t greasy and seems to

last as long or longer than other`s I`ve used.

You can find it a pep boys and many other stores.

Here is a link to their site

http://www.trimshine.com/

:)