PDA

View Full Version : I souveranned my boys..pics

kkjv1
07-31-2002, 09:18 PM
I have to give souveran 2 thumbs up! easy on.. easy off!

http://members.roadfly.com/kkjv1/e34black.jpg

http://members.roadfly.com/kkjv1/e39grey.jpg

Souveran`s effects are more pronounced on the black car. It is a major PITA to maintain a black car, but at the same time it is more rewarding when is nice and clean. Hope you like the pics.

The black 525i is over 10 years old, original paint.

The Sterling Grey 530i is a few days old, and was NOT prepped by the dealer as requested. I can`t trust the dealer to detail the car, after so many people have experienced burn marks and swirls. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself...;)

ShannanC
08-01-2002, 08:51 AM
very nice! I like those bimmers

:xyxthumbs

Redcar GUY
08-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Nice:)

imported_Aurora40
08-01-2002, 09:57 AM
That black looks awesome for new paint, let alone 10 years old! Great job!

thegeek
08-01-2002, 09:28 PM
Cars look beautiful man.

kkjv1
08-02-2002, 12:36 AM
Thanks for all the encouraging comments.

It took me a while to undo all the toture i put my car through before learning how to properly maintain a car`s appearance, both inside and out. I unknowingly subjected my vehicles through hell by using automatic car washes, dealer washes , fundraising washes and similar scratch and swirl inducing means. It took a while to restore the car to a pretty good condition... lots of elbow grease and dedication. I no longer view detailing as a chore, but rather a duty that i need to perform as a car owner. After all, if we take good care of our cars (cosmetically and mechanically), i am sure that it will take care of us as well.

Thanks for listening to my $.02

aljo
08-02-2002, 02:54 AM
What is "Prepping" the car? What does it consist of?

Does a dealer prepping last any longer/shorter than a home detailer prepping?

Thank you!

Oh next to your bimmer, that white car. Is it a sc400!? :)))

kkjv1
08-02-2002, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by bizzy928

What is "Prepping" the car? What does it consist of?

Does a dealer prepping last any longer/shorter than a home detailer prepping?

Thank you!

Oh next to your bimmer, that white car. Is it a sc400!? :)))

Michael,

Dealer prepping simply means that the dealer is deatailing the car and preparing it for delivery. You might notice that some of the cars in the dealer lot have those plastic coverings adhesed to their new cars. These plastic covers protect the cars while isitting in the lot and transport, from rail dust, and outside elements. However, only 40-60 percent of the car is covered. Also, cars without the covering may be sitting in the lot for weeks and even months... definitely not a good thing. When a client picks up a car, the dealer needs to clean the covering and remove the adhesives and make it shine so that the customer will be impressed and happy when he picks up the car. However, most of the time, when the dealer details the car, they do a haphazard job of washing, polishing and waxing the car. By the time they are done with the car, a lot of swirls and scratches have already been done. Initially, you may not seem to notice it because of the glaze and wax they apply and might even look impressive. After the shine is gone, all that is left are swirls and scratches. The dealer usually uses a rotary or high speed buffer to polish and wax the car. If used properly, this could yield to very very satisfying results. Ufotunately, most dealers are careless and their detainling job could lead to paint burnmarks.

To be safe, i requested them not to detail my car. Sure it takes a lot of effort on my part to produce a showroom shine, but at the same time i minimized the chances of them introducing swirls caused by careless detailing. After all, the car is already paid for and they couldnt care less if they damaged the car. I have heard my share of dealer screw ups and i would not be able to go to sleep knowing that i could do a better job than they could.

An example of a "prep" job by the dealer gone wrong could be found on this thread:

http://www.autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13185&highlight=what+dealer+did+to+this+new+bmw

As to the other question... the white care beside my bimmer is in fact a Lexus SC400. hehehe, it is my neighbor`s car though...

I hope this helps.

:)