PDA

View Full Version : Lessening orange peel

FuriousGeorge!!
07-31-2002, 04:36 PM
Hello all, very interesting stuff here.

I was just wondering if there was ANY way to reduce orange peel, short of wet sanding. OR maybe a way to reduce the -appearance- of orange peel. I`m kinda of thinking like buffing with FI-II with the yellow CMA pad to smooth out the harsh edges of the individual orange peel bumps.

I haven`t ordered any products, this is why I`m asking now. PC in the mail though :up

Did a search, this specific question wasn`t asked :xyxthumbs

Thunderingbird
07-31-2002, 06:29 PM
Wet sand.

ClayBartrug
07-31-2002, 08:23 PM
I HIGHLY dougt FI-II with a cutting pad will do anything... Wet Sanding is the only way!

FuriousGeorge!!
07-31-2002, 08:55 PM
sounds good. I`m pretty daring. I can`t stand looking at it anymore.

It looked somewhat better after hand polishing, maybe I`ll be able to live with it after PC polishing.

here`s what it looks like btw (1600x1200, fast server though):

http://students.washington.edu/akb123/vwfiles/GreenC.JPG

Maybe I`ll have some good "after" pics for ya in a week or two.

jerry@robs
07-31-2002, 09:44 PM
Looks pretty bad... i don`t think compounding would work... even if it will, it`ll take hella long time to do so... why not ask paintshops around you for a wetsanding quote?

FuriousGeorge!!
07-31-2002, 10:16 PM
@theveed,

What exactly should I ask for? Wetsand and CC, or just wetsand and high speed polish? I think I can handle the wetsand myself, I have a large supply of sponge blocks, 1500 and 2000 grit at my work.

I don`t know about doing the CC myself though. I read some of the posts DLW had on the prelude. I have lots of time, but I don`t have alot of access to garage space (weekends only at my parents). Looks really good though :up, and is tempting.

The paint is actually about three or four years years old and the previous owner didn`t take car of it very well, so it does have a fair amount of imperfections. If the CC fails in a couple years, I wouldn`t mind too much and would just get a respray.

shaf
07-31-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by FuriousGeorge!!

here`s what it looks like btw (1600x1200, fast server though):

http://students.washington.edu/akb123/vwfiles/GreenC.JPG

Maybe I`ll have some good "after" pics for ya in a week or two. Holy cow! :eek: Now I don`t feel so bad about one of my panels. You sure it`s not actually powdercoated or something? (j/k)

I personally don`t think orange peel can be budged at all with polishing. The idea of wetsanding is you need to knock off all the high spots on a large scale (visible) while leaving the low areas alone so you can get down to their level. Polishing will grind away paint at all levels and only remove microscopic (non-visible) high spots.

I`ll probably attempt to do this on my car when it`s time to redo my layers.

jerry@robs
07-31-2002, 10:25 PM
if you have the guts to tackle wet sanding, i`m sure you can compound and polish your car with a pc... :)

just take it slow and don`t be aggressive... try a small section at a time, and if you feel that you can`t handle the task, at least you`ve only experimented a little spot... :)

after wetsanding, the polishing ain`t that tough based on my experience... i wetsanded and hand polished before, took forever but it came out ok...