PDA

View Full Version : Hit and run... Any ideas what kind of car did this?

imported_ewiesner
07-31-2002, 01:39 PM
I came back yesterday afternoon and found my car like this... I was parked on the end of a row, with the passengers side exposed. The turn in to the parking lot was next to the passenger`s side, I`m guessing they hit my car with the front corner of their car as they were entering or leaving... Looks like the car has fancy molding on the front corners, because there are 4 horizontal stripes where the car hit.

Do you think I can fix this with touch up? Dealer estimates about $620, using a 2 stage paint. They also have ICAR award, is that good?

Can anyone recommend a good body shop in the St. Louis area?

I can`t get the picture to post so here is a link to the pic in another forum.

Body pic (http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1289297.phtml)

samiam513
07-31-2002, 01:52 PM
call insurance to fix it. it will not make our rate go up because you parked legally, the car was not moving, and you couldn`t haave physically stopped to other car from hitting yours.

imported_BretFraz
07-31-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by samiam513

call insurance to fix it. it will not make our rate go up because you parked legally, the car was not moving, and you couldn`t haave physically stopped to other car from hitting yours.

If I were him I`d speak to my agent before making a claim. Right now insurance companies are looking for any reason to bump rates or even cancel people. There are people who`ve had policies with companies for 20+ years who`ve been cancelled simply by submitting a claim. It`s just the way the insurance industry is being run lately.

MAZMAN - The only way to know for sure is discuss it with your agent and ask them direct questions. Definitely get estimates to show them. Show them the digital pics. They should tell you what will happen to your coverage if you submit a claim.

As for the alleged lady who allegedly hit your car, if you have witnesses who will submit a statement as to what they saw, terrific. If not you`re prolly up Poo Creek, unless she admits to hitting your car. I wouldn`t hold my breath for this to happen but its worth a try if you think you can get her to admit to the damage. Good luck.

KCPreki11
07-31-2002, 04:29 PM
4 horizontal stripes sounds like a new Eclipse to me.

metko
07-31-2002, 04:33 PM
I too had this happen to me not to long ago. Someone made a u-turn and went all the way down the side of my car. It puzzles me that people will hit and run like this. And don`t try to tell me she/he did not know they hit yours or my car.

As a previous person said, I would be hesitant claiming this on your insurance even though you had nothing to do with it and you are not at fault. I would like to know how much it is to repair this?

I used some rubbing compound and was able to get the big marks out, but I have a couple of areas were paint is missing. Will touch up paint really make a difference here or should I just wait to get it done professionally? I have a couple of other little dings/missing paint that I would like to take care of at the same time.

2wheelsx2
07-31-2002, 04:45 PM
I don`t how it works in the US, but up here in BC, if we think we know someone who did the hit and run, you can provide the plate, and the insurance company will request a paint sample from the other party and attempt to match it with scraping of the offending paint from your car. If they match, it`s up to the other party to show it wasn`t them.

metko
07-31-2002, 04:51 PM
Although I can`t comment on hit and runs, I can tell you down here in Southern California were I live the police will not even come out and take a report if your car is broken into. They will take a report over the phone. And youwonder why people take the law into thier own hands?

imported_ewiesner
07-31-2002, 05:52 PM
I called the insurance company and they assured me that my rates would not go up... I`m still going to be $250 out of pocket for my deductable :-(

I was thinking the car might be a white pontiac grand am. I can`t picture what the new eclipse looks like.

Actually, now I am pretty sure that it wasn`t the old lady that I thought it was. Different car and she would have been coming from the wrong angle.

TurboCat
07-31-2002, 06:40 PM
Yeah my guess is a Pontiac Grand Am. At least that`s the first thing that popped into my head - those bulging lines down the sides of that car! :shocked