PDA

View Full Version : 5 Star Shine Product with PPS

imported_alan81
07-31-2002, 11:11 AM
Have anybody try 5 Star Shine product from www.5starshine.com ??? Their web looks very convincing and the way they explain the logic behind it is very compelling. Only the price of $69.95 force me to do a little bit research. Thanks.

thevolvoguy
08-04-2002, 10:19 PM
Teflon is not chemically able to bond to a surface under a certain temperature (over 500 degrees F) Therefore, its a gimic. :nono

dr427
10-24-2002, 11:09 AM
I was curious and did a search on Autopia about PTFE and such and read that it doesn`t work under some extremely high temp and then read where "Sprayway" had an aerosol wax containing Dupont Zonyl (didn`t know what it was at first). I requested a sample from Sprayway and it is very slick to the touch, but messy to apply with overspray.

This is taken directly from the Dupont Website (http://www.dupont.com/teflon/fluoroadditives/applications/coatings.html) :

ZonylĂ‚® fluoroadditives can be used in a variety of coating formulations. It is important to remember, however, that the very low surface tension of smooth PTFE at 19 dynes/cm suggests that lower surface tension solvents approaching the level of PTFE will be the most effective. Emulsions, suspensions, and formulations using aqueous and hydrocarbon bases are possible and sometimes facilitated by the use of wetting agents or surfactants (such as ZonylĂ‚® fluorosurfactants).

Wax Formulations

Tests have shown that the chemical and abrasion resistant protective properties of wax formulations can be improved by the addition of ZonylĂ‚® fluoroadditives. In addition to enhancing anti-stick and low-friction behavior of coatings, ZonylĂ‚® fluoroadditives may be able to satisfy a variety of other needs, such as better water repellency, compatibility with solvent or melt coating processes, and FDA and EEC regulations (see Products page).

I also looked into the claims made by 5 star shine. The Patent (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,081,171.WKU.&OS=PN/5,081,171&RS=PN/5,081,171) is pretty convincing, but I am no chemist. And the application is quite tedious. This taken directly from the patent papers:

To prepare the cleaning solution, approximately three ounces (weight) of the blended cleaning powder, consisting of compounds (a) to (d) noted above, is added to one gallon of warm water (140 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit) and dissolved. For lesser strengths, the amount of water is increased, thereby diluting the prepared solution. If desired the cleaning solution can be prepared by mixing the various compounds in the form of a concentrated liquid solution as opposed to a powder.

Before applying the cleaning solution, it is allowed to cool in order that the solution can be applied by hand. The solution is then applied to the entire surface to be prepared, using a sponge, a soft cloth, a long-handled soft-bristled brush, or preferably, a hand mitt. After application of the cleaning solution, 10 to 15 minutes is allowed to elapse, in order to permit the solution to dissolve the sediments and acids left in the pores and on the surface. When crystallization commences on the surface, it is an indication that sediments and other contaminants have been removed from the pores of the painted surface. The surface is then thoroughly rinsed with water to remove the crystallized or powdery substance on the surface, and is then dried with a chamois cloth. It is important that the cloth used to dry the surface not have been washed in any detergent, as that will leave a greasy film on the prepared surface.

Through application of the cleaning solution, the pores of the paint are thoroughly purged of sediments and the surfaces are generally free of all nitrogen oxides (NO.sub.x), acid rain, sulfur dioxides (SO.sub.2), chemical impurities, fatty acids, detergents and any waxes, polishes, burnishing or buffing agents. The surface has a dull and lacklustre appearance, and bears a positive charge due to the action of the cleaning solution, specifically the cationic surfactants.

Though the above surface preparation is preferred, any alternative preparation could be used, the essential features of the preparation being that the surface should be reasonably clean, and must be positively charged. How the cleaning is effected and how the positive charges are produced is not material to the invention as broadly defined.

After this surface preparation, the protective coating can be applied.

Doing a quick search I see several manufacturers claim to have Zonyl in their wax. Is it an alternative to the PTFE`s of past? Is it Hype or does it actually help?:nixweiss