PDA

View Full Version : white specs on black paint

tsnack
07-31-2002, 06:25 AM
oh man. last night - i got home from work and decided i wanted to wash the SVT. I haven`t driven it in about 3 weeks now - i`ve paid very little attention to it lately. I look at the paint and what do I see? White specs everywhere! :eek: Doesn`t come off with my fingernail - can`t feel it at all! So off I went. Cancel plans with the fiance and grabbed the dawn. Dawned the car. Clayed it as well. The clay was lifting some of the white specs but not all. At this point I`m very nervous so I take out the 3M SMR and PC w/ Wool Pad and off I go. It takes forever for these things to come off. I did my hood and right fender. For example, my right fender took about 10 minutes of constant use of the PC. The white specs do come off - but they are really in there. Today I do my passenger side doors....I need to break this up into smaller pieces in order to get all of it off.

anyone in the NorthEast, or anywhere for that matter, get this on their paint? Like I said, I haven`t driven it in 3 weeks so I`m wondering if its earth that`s causing this.....The car has been sitting there. My hands were buzzing for a few minutes afterwards cause of the PC ;)

Anyone have a better way of getting this crap off? I am going to go get some FI-II today afterwork and see if a tougher polish will speed things up and take care of it......any other ideas?

Anyway - Sorry for the long rant - just needed to vent cause it looks like my week is booked......:o

tsnack
08-01-2002, 12:55 PM
but if anyone can provide any suggestions, it would be great.

would the water/vinegar solution remove this stuff? of should i just stay with the 3m SMR of FI-II?

any ideas?:confused:

again - it is coming off - but I`m afraid I`m really cutting my clearcoat thin by sitting there with the SMR waiting for it to come off with the PC....:nixweiss

samiam513
08-01-2002, 01:01 PM
IF the car has been re-painted lately then it might be solvent pop.

That means the solvents are bubbling up, and when hot (pc heat is enough) hey will pop.

here`s how to tell it`s them

#1. the pop easily after that car has been in the hot sun all day.

#2 after 1 pops, there is a noticable cavity in the clear where you just poped the bubble.

Other than that it could be a number of things.

Drifted spray paint, bug doo doo, somthing in the air, tree sap, and a number of other things.

tsnack
08-01-2002, 01:08 PM
they don`t pop - i honestly haven`t seen anything negative to the paint when polished off. as far as i know, the car has not been resprayed.

however, i am wondering if it is spray paint. a neighbor was painting something the other day (bottom piece of a fence i believe). is it possible for the paint to travel that far in the air? (about 30-35yards)

and now that i think of it, it is the side pointing towards my neighbor......

oh man, i need to get this stuff off. I need to cancel my scheduled detailing job (a friend of mine) and get this stuff off. I hate seeing the car like this.

Thank you for your reply.

TCM
08-01-2002, 10:56 PM
I bet it is overspray from your neighbor`s painting job. I had a brand new black 02 MB C32 come in with these spots all over it. I coul dnot remove them with my fingernail or a pre cleanser. I finally used some Zymol Lehm Clay and they came out after a couple of passes. Try some clay and see if that helps you out, good luck.

KatyM45S
08-01-2002, 11:41 PM
I noticed this too out of the blue one day. I`m in CT/NY , but I think that`s just a coincidence. Mine come off by scratching w/ fingernail. It`s very annoying.

jerry@robs
08-02-2002, 05:31 AM
Anything like this? http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13429

(Just click the links for pics)

tsnack
08-02-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by theveed

Anything like this? http://autopia.ws/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13429

(Just click the links for pics)

Hey, Thanks for the link. I did see that when I searched around but didn`t think they were related. Reason: The white spots were only on the right side of my car and are not found anywhere else on the car. Some of them came off with my fingernail, but most didn`t - probably cause it was on there for a while.

I used the Perfect-It II last night with a PC and all of it came off.

I have yet to do my rear bumper but my doors, for instance, were covered with it and they ALL came off pretty easily with PI-II and PC w/ Wool Pad. (talk about aggressive). THe paint looks absolutely beautiful now.

I want to thank everyone for their responses. I plan on going to my neighbor`s house tomorrow morning and asking to make sure it was spray - and find out exactly what color, etc.....Just for peace of mind.

Take care everyone - Thank you all for your help!:D :up