PDA

View Full Version : FI-2 with cutting pad...

ClayBartrug
07-30-2002, 07:45 PM
I tried this combo tonight to remove someleft over bird bomb residue which wouldn`t come off with SMR or cleaner wax... It seemed to do the job well, I may give it a once over again tomorrow in better light!

My question is the following...Does use of FI-2 and/or a cutting pad need to be followed by SMR with a polishing pad? Did the FI2 create any microscratches or swirls that will now need to be removed?

Thanks!

ClayBartrug
07-30-2002, 09:35 PM
anyone? :nixweiss

VetteToVair
07-30-2002, 11:02 PM
i have used a yellow cutting pad with FI-2 many times with great results. nicely polished surface with very few swirls. just be sure to work it long enough.

caddyman
07-31-2002, 12:24 AM
No, you dont need SMr after FI-II

William420
07-31-2002, 03:16 AM
I`ve used FI-2 with cutting & wool pad with good results and IMO you don`t need to follow up with SMR if you worked it good enough and get a haze free glossy finish. I mean, you can go directly to polymer based product without any fear since it`s suppose to be silicone free.

Many people get haze or find the finish dull a bit after FI-2, so follow up with SMR would remove the haze or bring out the gloss. If you end up with haze or dull finish then I would follow up with SMR!

briggs7@comcast.net
07-31-2002, 09:05 AM
FI-2 with a polishing pad did not required followup with SMR for me. But FI-2

with cutting pad ( yellow from CMA ) is a whole different story. It does leave

strong haze on black finish - and have to be polished with white pad ( and it

make sence to use milder polish such as SMR this time).

TortoiseAWD
07-31-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by olek

FI-2 with a polishing pad did not required followup with SMR for me. But FI-2

with cutting pad ( yellow from CMA ) is a whole different story. It does leave

strong haze on black finish - and have to be polished with white pad ( and it

make sence to use milder polish such as SMR this time). olek,

You might try working the FI-II a bit longer . . . I`ve had good luck getting a haze-free finish with FI-II and a cutting pad on black and dark blue. I used to get some hazing, but after reading a number of posts about how long it can take to get the abrasives to break down with a PC, I started working the FI-II longer (until almost gone).

YMMV, but it might be worth a try . . .

Tort