PDA

View Full Version : driving outside with fresh wax?

mhsu408
07-29-2002, 08:42 PM
right after i finish waxing my car, can i drive it? Or do i have a leave it parked (not driven) until the 72 hour period is over? I will be using S100, i`m confused on how long i have to let it dry.

Also, when waxing by hand. I use MF towels to do it. Does the wax become a solid (like polish) as i continue to buff it? How will i know when to stop buffing by hand? Is there any indication?

imported_dl9589
07-29-2002, 08:45 PM
You can drive your car immediatly after buffing the wax off of your car. I wouldn`t recommend putting the wax on and driving around while it dries, if that is what you are talking about.

As far as how long to buff a wax into the paint, I just apply a very thin layer, I don`t really buff it in...just apply the thin layer, let it dry (if thats what the directions call for, some tell you to put it on and buff it off right away), then buff off.

shaf
07-29-2002, 10:36 PM
If you`re using S100 like me, just apply it to a few square feet then wipe it off (as per instructions). Should come off easily and you only want to buff until you see all the residue has been removed. Buffing has no other real function. Then you`re done.

I know Alan81 likes to let this wax sit for 10 minutes, but I found if you let it dry too long it starts fighting you. My 2 cents.

mhsu408
07-30-2002, 12:26 AM
So you`re saying that i don`t have to let the S100 wax dry at all? I can just apply it, then buff it immediately off?

vroddad
07-30-2002, 01:30 AM
Some waxes (e.g. Zymol) don`t want the wax to dry on the paint before buffing off. Other waxes say "set haze then buff". Read your bottle.

chevyguy28
07-30-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by mhsu408

So you`re saying that i don`t have to let the S100 wax dry at all? I can just apply it, then buff it immediately off?

Essentially yes. However, I sometimes get lazy and wax an entire panel or half of a panel before buffing off in the opposite direction. Helps with coverage. Just don`t let it dry too long...it gets harder to buff out.

NattyBumppo
07-30-2002, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by JustinTRW

Essentially yes. However, I sometimes get lazy and wax an entire panel or half of a panel before buffing off in the opposite direction. Helps with coverage. Just don`t let it dry too long...it gets harder to buff out.

Yep. With P21s (S100) it`s wax on, wax off. I mostly do half a panel then buff immediately. It really comes of eeeeeasy that way :up .

ClayBartrug
07-30-2002, 06:55 AM
That is coooooooooooooooooooorrect! Wax on, wax off. I`ll do 1/3 of my hood, then buff...etc... Half a fender, then buff.... Working with S100 (p21s) is a pleasure...and FAST!!! I don`t see why some people let P21S dry at all, when the directions specifically say otherwise. It only gets harder to remove! :nixweiss

And there`s no need to "work in" P21S. You apply a thin layer with a foam applicator pad, and you`re done!

vroddad
07-31-2002, 07:43 PM
Is it possible to wipe off too quickly with the remove immediately type waxes? Like having the applicator in one hand and the removal fabric in the other.

TortoiseAWD
08-01-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Frederf

Is it possible to wipe off too quickly with the remove immediately type waxes? Like having the applicator in one hand and the removal fabric in the other. In my experience, if you try to wipe P21S/S100 too quickly, it will smear a bit and not really come off the surface well. No worries, though; if the first couple of wipes on the not-quite-dry wax cause smearing, just wait another 30 seconds or so and try again. With S100, I`ve found that if I wax an entire panel (or 1/2 hood or roof), then go back to remove, that`s just about the right amount of time.

Tort