PDA

View Full Version : Topping Zaino with Carnauba?

vjarnot
07-29-2002, 04:23 PM
There`s been a lot of talk (or so it seems) about the fact that topping Zaino with carnauba would probably be detrimental to the bonding process.

But consider these points:

- Dawn removes carnauba

- Dawn doesn`t remove Zaino

What if you top Zaino with carnauba (for a few weeks or months) - then when you wish to apply more Zaino, you can simply do a Dawn wash...

imported_memnuts
07-30-2002, 07:41 AM
Do a search on this subject. I for one tried topping Zaino with P21S and Meg #26 with poor long-term results. Initially the oils in the carnuaba added depth to the Zaino but after a day the carnuaba seemed to have lifted and created a haze. This haze was easily removed by a buffing. My conclusion after two tries with two different carnuabas was :nono. I did not want to have to buff my car everyday or before its use to remove the haze and possibly create another problem... marred Zaino surface.

If you want that carnuaba-like topping appearance try Blackfire or Platium protectant ( not polish) over the Zaino. I have had great results with Zaino/ BF on my black Z28. Check out the threads I have about this experiment :bounce

TortoiseAWD
07-30-2002, 08:35 AM
I`ve had decent luck with P21S on top of Z, but it`s on silver, so any hazing like what blkZ28Conv saw probably escaped me unnoticed. It`s a different look than straight Zaino, and fun to experiment with. In the long run, though, I`ll return to straight Zaino, as the Z shampoo and QD really seem to rejuvenate the slickness and gloss - which has not been the case with the wax topper (I`ve been using Meg`s Gold Class shampoo and Final Inspection since I added the topper, and it`s OK, just not that "icy" Z slickness).

As long as you are aware of the potential problems, and just playing around, I`d say go for it. Applying P21S is a completely different "zen" than applying Zaino, and very enjoyable (the whole on-like-butter/off-like butter thing is extremely satisfying). I wouldn`t, however, recommend wax-topped Z as a long-term endeavor for some of the reasons blk mentioned.

Tort