PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to minimize swirling are....

Pages : [1] 2

Mindflux
07-29-2002, 12:05 AM
Please post your suggestions/comments here. I just picked up my 02 VW GTI 337 2 weeks ago and want to keep this baby pristine. It`s silver in color, so I know it`ll be harder to see any scratches/swirls that happen. But I want to know what I can do to avoid creating them when I wash.

I`ve been reading on here for a while, some of you know me pretty well, other`s may not. I know some of the basics, wash the car with your mitt (good 100% Cotton viking here), with the direction air flows (not circular motions), 2 wash buckets (one for clean/soapy water, one for mitt rinsing).

I use 1 mitt for the top "half" of the car, one for the bottom "half" below the belt-line, and one mitt for the wheels.

I`m sure there`s more I`m forgetting to mention I always do.

Sharkie
07-29-2002, 12:18 AM
Grats one the 337 Mindflux, sweet car. I just picked up a 2002 silver GTI today. Only thing I can think to add is to blot dry. I just got a Big Blue Towel and they seem very good for that. Synthetic chamois, cotton towels or MFs would be fine as well. BBT works well for 90%+ then just follow with a final wipe with another towel.

Adam

Mindflux
07-29-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by SJ Sharkie

Grats one the 337 Mindflux, sweet car. I just picked up a 2002 silver GTI today. Only thing I can think to add is to blot dry. I just got a Big Blue Towel and they seem very good for that. Synthetic chamois, cotton towels or MFs would be fine as well. BBT works well for 90%+ then just follow with a final wipe with another towel.

Adam

Adam,

Got me 2 BBTs They`re awesome!!!! I didn`t blot dry tho, I sort of rolled it up like a newspaper and lightly drug it across the hood and roof and of course dried up the windows and side mirrors. As far as the sides of the car, I sort of let those "drip dry" so to speak.

I`m coming from a 98 VR6 that was Black, and it seemed like swirl marks were my enemy. I do not want this guy to look like that, ever.

We're Here
07-29-2002, 03:02 AM
I`ve taken some heat for this but I believe that swirls are only created when one wipes the finish with grit in between. Sounds stupid I know but this largely exempts (if you use quality equipment) the drying process, the wax application and removal process, (etc.) from swirl producers. To beat the problem somewhat, I`ve purchased an electric pressure washer that I use before hand-washing our vehicles.

Absent the power washer, use lots of water and a high suds shampoo with the correct mitt/sponge and technique.

David`s suggested use of the California Duster sounds to be a cost effective option to a pressure washer (though not an option for cleaning road salt off of a vehicle driven on northern winter roads).

RobD
07-29-2002, 09:11 AM
It takes a fair degree of improper care to noticably swirl a silver car. I don`t think you`ll have a problem at all. You made a great choice in color; cleaning a silver car is a pleasure. :xyxthumbs Good luck!

jmdlat
07-29-2002, 09:27 AM
Taking your time is the key. The way I have seen most cars swirl up is by rushing. Then the surface may not be as clean, and therefore create it when drying. Another is washing a car (especially black) in the sun. The surface heats up and can create marks in the paint.

Just take your time, wash the car thoroughly and then begin the drying process.

ldonato
07-29-2002, 09:38 AM
also two bucket method when washing helps out... keeps grit out of shampoo water and in the "rinse" water only

Mindflux
07-29-2002, 09:41 AM
Thank you all for your wonderful and helpful suggestions. Please keep them coming!!! I want to treat my car the best that I can. It is my FIRST *NEW* car, all of my others were used, which .. (not to make them sound like they don`t deserve good appropriate washings).. is just not the same :)

I have so many cleaning products I`ve purchased over the past 2 years, mostly from recommendations here so I think I`ve got a good supply of items.

I`ve got all this Zaino I have yet to use, Z2, Z5, ZFX, Z7 and their QD? Z6 I think.

I`ve also got all sorts of Lexol products for vinyl and leather, big blue towels, absorbers, P21S Wheel Cleaner, Pinnacle Carwash Shampoo, Pinnacle Bodycare Clensing Lotion.. a Porter Cable with the CMA kit!! 3M SMR, 3M IHG. 4 or 5 YoSteve Microfiber towels, some yellow flannel towels etc etc etc. California Water Blade (Havn`t decided if I`ll use this on the new baby).

I`ve got more then that, but those are what I can think of off the top of my head!!

Please, please keep your comments coming, I greatly appreciate them as I learn the best way to take care of my car.

Mindflux
07-29-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX

also two bucket method when washing helps out... keeps grit out of shampoo water and in the "rinse" water only

Yessir, I already do that. I actually use the two buckets just for my wheels, then toss the water out, refill the buckets to do the car. ... :)

ClayBartrug
07-29-2002, 10:45 AM
If you`re nervous about using the CWB, like I was... no worries... Use it on windows only...It works wonders!

MF drying towels are all you need. I have 4, this way I don`t have to worry about washing them after each car wash....I always have two clean ones.... :D

samiam513
07-29-2002, 11:52 AM
best way to not have swirls is to get your car straight out of the factory paint booth, put init a trailer, and take it home. then in ther garage covered and never touch it. it will never have a swirl.

other than that you will get a few swirls. they are unstopable.

mrdetailer
07-29-2002, 12:05 PM
I found that the very best protection of newer paint is to never use a polish, swirl mark remover, or a buffer in any way unless I have removed any residual particles first with the clay bar.

I started doing my father`s dark green Taurus by not using a machine unless I had a mirror smooth finish first. I have been doing that for about 3 years. It has hardly any swirl marks.

Let`s throw this issue out for discussion also. I am of the impression that on newer vehicles, for the first 3-4 years a buffer should not be used at all. It`s not until the finish has been damaged somewhat that SMR, glazes and buffers should be used.

Let the games begin.

samiam513
07-29-2002, 12:57 PM
why not use a buffer to apply wax in the first 3-4 years? Come on, the paint is flash cured. that means it is dry when tehy pull it out of the paint booth.

mrdetailer
07-30-2002, 04:34 PM
Any buffing can be hard on the paint. If the car is mirror smooth and has a deep shine my argument is that you need to protect the clear coat for a few years and only use hand applications.

imported_carnut00
08-15-2002, 01:28 AM
nice car

http://steez.vwmafia.net/gti/dubandgrub3/images/dubandgrub1.jpg