PDA

View Full Version : alternative to claying?

CAG333
07-28-2002, 10:01 PM
Can AIO be used as an alternative to claying the car? My car is almost a year old and I have kept good care of it. The thing is I never did clay it but instead I just aio`d it and SG`d it, and now I dont know if it would be a benefit to strip off the Klasse and clay it.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

samiam513
07-28-2002, 10:10 PM
if ti doesn`t feel like a sheet of glass, clay it.

imported_Intermezzo
07-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Klasse AIO does not replace claying. They both clean your car, but in different ways. The good new is that there is no need to remove your Klasse before claying. Just clay right over your existing coats and then add a fresh layer of SG and you`re set.

tom p.
07-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Claying is sort of unique in it`s function but I think some people may be using it too liberally.

IMO, I restrict the use of clay to problem areas only and will use a chemical cleaner (whatever your favorite is) on the balance of the areas prior to waxing. I think this is the safest routine.

I see many other claying their cars frequently when they really don`t need such an aggressive cleaning.

Jngrbrdman
07-29-2002, 02:50 PM
I am the biggest fan of AIO there could ever be. I love the stuff, but I know there are things that it just isn`t going to take care of. IFO is one of them. After I AIO I like to clay just because I know it will pick up more. That is only on the heavily oxidized cars though. I don`t want to fill up the clay with stuff that AIO would take care of for me. Depending on the damage I would say to use both Clay and AIO just to be safe. Usually clay first and then AIO unless you have situations like I just told you about. :xyxthumbs

zey
07-29-2002, 08:11 PM
I clayed my car 3 weeks ago. It was really silky smooth even under the plastic bag test. However, yesterday after I washed my car, I found out that it`s no longer as smooth as 3 weeks ago. May I know what`s the problem?

CAG333
07-29-2002, 10:28 PM
Intermezzo,

How can a claybar penetrate the supposed impenetrable layer of AIO? and would I have to strip the SG off first? and what would I strip the SG off with?

sorry for all the questions, I am just curious is all.

Lemonxxs
07-30-2002, 08:11 AM
Contaminates will appear in paint like little teeny weeny rocks....they stick up above the paint giving it a bumpy feel....

(put hand in plastic baggy and touch clean paint to check)

Clay glides over the painted surface using QD as a hydrodynamic lubricant....that is there is a little bit of qd between the clay and the paint that lets the clay float above the surface a teeny teeny weeny amount......This amount is less then the how much the paint contaminates stick up above the paint.

When the clay bar comes by the contaminate it hits it....the contaminate sticks into the clay and grabs on....as the clay is moved further the contaminate is either pulled out if it is strong or sheared off at or near the top of the paint layer.

Not enough lube and the clay will stick to paint and make a mess...I hope that explains it.