PDA

View Full Version : Fire trucks...

samiam513
07-28-2002, 12:39 AM
Anyone have any tips on how to detail them? I have 8 fire trucks, and a couple ambulances and brush trucks to do.

Taxlady
07-28-2002, 01:01 AM
Wowl :up

kkjv1
07-28-2002, 01:12 AM
Looks like you have a lot of cleaning to do! :D Have fun doing it!

boywonder
07-28-2002, 08:14 AM
Talk to Gonzo. He might be able to assist you on that question. :D

DaGonz
07-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by samiam513

Anyone have any tips on how to detail them? I have 8 fire trucks, and a couple ambulances and brush trucks to do.

It`s just like detailing a car...only on a "slightly larger" scale! :D

Actually, fire trucks are easier to do...There are lots of flat panels if the rig was built on a custom chassis...you just have to be extremely careful around any gold leaf striping or lettering..very easy to remove accidentally and very expensive to repair and replace!

I hope your rigs are Red and not slime yellow!

VetteToVair
07-28-2002, 11:38 PM
good to know i can go to the hospital in style :rolleyes:

KCPreki11
07-28-2002, 11:47 PM
Wow, how`d you get those? Let mentioned above, is this volunteer or money work?

samiam513
07-29-2002, 09:10 AM
in MD you haflto have 80 hrs of community service to grraduate highschoool. I just found that out in my junior year. Now i have 40 hrs a year.

It`s a volunteer company. They have white trucks, and just took one of the ones i dedtailed to a parade. I don`t know if they judged it or not.

Even when i am done with my volunteer work i am still going to do theri trucks before parades. I am rollin in business after the parade they just went to! I didn`t even have my name on the truck. The firefighters told the people to go back to the station and talk to me!

Any ideas on the chrome/alum.?

Scott P
07-29-2002, 09:39 AM
Mother`s Chrome and Aluminum polish works great. Just rub on and wipe off. Always test a small area first. Also, the polish will turn black, but don`t worry, this is normal.

You may wish to put a coat of wax or something on top of the chrome to protect it and make it that much more shiny and pretty.

imported_Aurora40
07-29-2002, 11:53 AM
Ha ha... Samian, thanks for reminding me why I moved to Virginia from MD. What a dopey state. I don`t think forced community service is really that great for the community, nor is it particularly American... It`s also hard to see how it ties into a high-school curriculum. Which one of the three R`s is that? Only in Maryland...

Congratulations, though, on embracing the fact that you had to do it, and on doing a great job on one of the trucks. Glad to hear it might get you some business. I bet many high-schoolers just begrudgingly half-*** their community service requirement.

samiam513
07-29-2002, 11:55 AM
aurora, my whole faimly hates this place. they wouldn`t pass my bro`s truck on inspection because it had a rock chip in the winshield that was ALLREADY filled! I will be moving to wymoing for college (planning on it) and then moving to any state but this one after that!

imported_Aurora40
07-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Heh... I just noticed your "location". That`s funny. Virginia is a refreshing change from Maryland, especially as I used to live in Montgomery County (the one that banned Santa and tried to ban smoking in one`s own house, not that I smoke, but this is America...)

However, VA has stricter vehicle inspections that are an annual requirement. That is one thing I`m not fond of. I don`t think most accidents are caused by people having crappy cars, rather they are usually caused by driver carelessness or inattention. Plus, I don`t feel that the only way people will maintain their cars is if the government makes them. Personally, I care about driving a safe car whether I have to or not... Then there is the fact that some places use it as a way to drum up business. I`ll bet the place that didn`t pass your brother`s truck probably gave him a quote to repair his windshield...

samiam513
07-29-2002, 12:55 PM
they told him to go to some glass place to get it fixed. forget the name but i think it was owned by the same guy.

Funnyn thing is that the night after he had them tell him that, some planet was visible, ,and he was lookin at it in his truck. he said he couldn`teven see the cracked spot in thew top of the windshield it was so far up!

ragtopgolfer
07-29-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by samiam513

in MD you haflto have 80 hrs of community service to grraduate highschoool. I just found that out in my junior year. Now i have 40 hrs a year.

It`s a volunteer company. They have white trucks, and just took one of the ones i dedtailed to a parade. I don`t know if they judged it or not.

Even when i am done with my volunteer work i am still going to do theri trucks before parades. I am rollin in business after the parade they just went to! I didn`t even have my name on the truck. The firefighters told the people to go back to the station and talk to me!

Any ideas on the chrome/alum.?

sounds like I`ll be calling up some firestations....