PDA

View Full Version : Removing waterspots from Zaino??

cemadent
07-18-2002, 10:43 PM
(I did search the archives for this, couldn`t find anything specific).

I have a 2 month old BMW in Topaz Blue. It currently has 3 coats of Zaino (Z-2, Z-5, Z-2), the final two coats applied 4 days ago. Today, I parked in a great spot at work - the VP`s BMW on one side, grass on the other - not a chance for a ding.

Unfortunately, they decided to do some work on the sprinkler system today, and gave my car a nice bath. I discovered this at about 11:00 AM, after the outside temp was nearing 92 degrees, very intense sun. Needless to say, the dried water spots were baked on pretty nicely.

I swung by my house and picked up a few MF towels and my Z-6, and then got over to a DIY carwash bay about 1:00. I washed the car down with water only, which seemed to remove most of the white (mineral??) deposits. However, after drying and then Z-6ing, I can still see all of the water spots if I look at the surface at the right angle. I can`t feel anything raised or etched down in the surface.

So my question is, what do I do now? Will these go away in time? Did the Zaino get etched, or did this eat down into the clear coat? Is there something I can do to remove the spots without removing all the Zaino? If I Zaino over the spots, will this lock them in even further?

I know, lots of questions. I`m relatively new to Zaino, and for that matter, more advanced detailing processes. Any help is very much appreciated. (I`ve learned a ton on this forum already...)

thevolvoguy
07-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Try vinegar and water, or straight vinegar if a 50/50 mix wont do it. This will take out the spots, I don`t THINK it will strip the Z. I would re-apply in the areas, just to be on the safe side.

EDIT: If the vinegar still wont work a clay bar will take them off and wont remove all the Zaino.

BradE
07-19-2002, 08:59 AM
Vinegar is a mild acid and will take care of waterspots, and WILL remove Zaino.

cemadent
07-19-2002, 09:08 AM
If vinegar definitely removes the Zaino, should I try the claybar first? If I use this with Z-7/water as a lube, will this remove the Zaino or just the waterspots?

BradE
07-19-2002, 09:19 AM
A clay bar will not remove waterspots, that`s not what it`s designed for. Go with the vinegar to remove them and just re-zaino.