PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cleaning..

ClayBartrug
07-18-2002, 09:30 AM
So i cleaned my engine this morning finally...Here`s what I did...

Warmed the engine a little bit, then covered a few electrical areas with plastic baggies and rubberbands...

Next, sprayed Simple Green generously over the entire engine. Proceeded to hose down with direct spray to remove simple green. Dried things off a bit with a towel while engine ran (in the sun). Proceeded to use 303 on plastic parts and hoses.

I have to say I`m a bit dissapointed. Granted it wasn`t filthy before hand, but I was hoping for a more noticeable change. I notice it, it`s just not like....WOW.

What have others used to "dress" the engine after degreasing. Maybe 303 is just too dull. I also hate the fact that my 303 won`t "spray" rather it comes out in a jet like stream that just splatters everywhere (is there a way to change that?)...

Here`s an after picture... It`s nothing exciting though...

ClayBartrug
07-18-2002, 09:32 AM
one more...:nixweiss

laynlow
07-18-2002, 10:16 AM
Meguiars has a product called Engine Kote. I am in the process of getting my hands on some. You are supposed to just spray it on the engine compartment, and it dries to a hard low gloss finish. They say it is safe for every component in the compartment.

I ran a search for it, but only had one hit.

hkross
07-19-2002, 12:22 AM
Great job chris. For your spray you might wana soak the nossel in hot water. :nixweiss It may help. Nice job tho. If I could make a suggestion tho. Try some QD on the painted parts. I use it when I spot clean and it works great. That is just my oppion tho. It looks great tho.

imported_capspackle
07-19-2002, 12:33 AM
Looks great.. however, one minor thing.. this is at least what i was tought.. do NOT do an engine wash while the engine is warm or hot.. it HAS to be cool to the touch.. if the engine is hot, and you spray cool water on the entire engine, you might crack a cylinder head.. this for the simple fact that it`s hot, and the cool water expands on the engine (or contracts.. not sure) and can cause some serious damage..

ClayBartrug
07-19-2002, 06:38 AM
That`s what I thought too, but I followed the advise of David in the Autopia e-book... He says the best temperature to clean an engine is warm, not HOT... If you`re able to hold your hand on it without saying "ouch", you`re fine. I literally let the engine run for 2 minutes at idle, then shut it off. It was barely warm. Thanks for the caution though.

Originally posted by PathfinderGuy

Looks great.. however, one minor thing.. this is at least what i was tought.. do NOT do an engine wash while the engine is warm or hot.. it HAS to be cool to the touch.. if the engine is hot, and you spray cool water on the entire engine, you might crack a cylinder head.. this for the simple fact that it`s hot, and the cool water expands on the engine (or contracts.. not sure) and can cause some serious damage..

Propaganda13
07-19-2002, 08:31 AM
On the nozzle, there`s off, spray, and stream. You`re just turning it too far, or it`s broken.

303 is supposed to be non-gloss UV protection. I think it looks fantastic on my interior where I think glossy would look cheap. There are plenty of high gloss alternatives out there.

NattyBumppo
07-19-2002, 09:07 AM
Looks like a typical 303 matte finish. FWIW...I basically followed the same process except that I don`t warm the engine for reasons already pointed out.

I only cover the power distribution box and alternator with tin foil (it can be scrunched and shaped to perfectly form fit whatever), liberally spray down with SG (diluted 4:1 water/SG), lightly brush where needed, wait 5 minutes and hose off. Instead of 303, which I reserve for the interior, I use Megs Natural Shine on all rubber/vinyl/plastic under the hood. It has a more glossy finish and is a bit thicker consistency. I did my engine about a month ago and it still looks great.

I`d like to know how does everyone apply their rubber/vinyl dressing of choice? I was so worried about gettng the stuff on the belt and cause slippage or squealing, that I basically hand wiped the Megs onto everything I wanted to treat rather than just spray away in the engine bay. Is this the "proper" method or is it unfounded caution?

I think your pics look fine, very nice job :up .

caddyman
07-19-2002, 11:10 AM
IMHO, it depends on the engine compartment. As I have said, I freuently use clear engine paint, and it works great. More often than not I use the CD2 engine detailier (spray dressing). Here is a pc of how it CAN look, but as with the paint, prep is everything.;)

aorbeta
07-28-2002, 04:36 PM
ive been told that spraying a light coat of wd40 as a finisher to engine detail will bring out a marvelous shine. however, im guessing that you will pick up dust quicker than without it...comments?

JasonC8301
07-28-2002, 04:43 PM
I detailed the engine on the corolla the other day. After I was done degreasing it with a 10:1 ratio of Valugards Engine Degreaser, I hosed it off and wiped it down. I thin threw out the two pieces of tin foil I used to cover an electrical cluster and a circular thing that had grooves in it that show wires (haha I can clean them, but can`t fix or describe them.)

I then started the engine, boy that sound freaked me out. Like a grinding hurling low rumble sound. After 10 seconds, all was fine.

I then dressed everything with Vinylex.

Looked good. Too bad now it is sprinkling and thundering soon in NJ. I guess the makeover will have to wait until next year. Wow lets see if Klasse can last 2 years......

Jason

jerry@robs
07-29-2002, 02:55 AM
I cleaned this (Mazda 323 aka Protege in the US) last Saturday using Meguiar`s APC+ (4:1 ratio), #66 Cleaner wax, generic metal polish and citrus dressing.

http://pub45.bravenet.com/photocenter/view.php?img=29607&usernum=3805653559

Jason: The part you`re describing is called a distributor/distributor cap.

The noise you`ve heard is common for smaller engines with exposed fans and pulleys. When they get wet they either rumble or squeak.

JasonC8301
07-29-2002, 03:34 AM
Thanks theveed

It was a combo of both, a low rumble and squeaky noises, scared the crap out of me at first. In a few moments, all was fine as described in my previous post.

Gosh its 4:30 in the morning and I`m still catching up on Autopia.

Jason

EDIT

Here are the pictures

Driver Side

http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data2/00A/33/65/BD/84/45nG4nGRyNnbCl4VmEkNgOw4jaCQjpfz0180.jpg

Passenger Side

http://pstr-m04.ygpweb.aol.com/data2/00D/08/27/A3/5F/cHVLsH1OQ+f4k52gOhoKg1YALqts68Dt0180.jpg

Front view

http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data2/00D/35/B4/37/7C/6KnAEQnMj+3MJTCCckeCaPNvH+iOr8FS0180.jpg

Not too bad for a 3 year old car with 84K on it. This was its first ever engine cleaning, done quickly (within 45 minutes.) It could of been better, but it turned out pretty good. Not ashamed to pop the hood for the mechanic or when they do an oil change anymore.