PDA

View Full Version : Washing

imported_Tony
07-17-2002, 03:39 PM
Strong detergents like dawn are not good for the paint and should only be used when necessary. I believe it is Forrest that does not believe in the use of dawn. I only use dwan once a year before claying. A car wash shampoo is far more paint friendly. Once you have properly washed then a gentle wash between steps is all that is necessary.

I save a step when I use Mother`s clay because I follow the clay with AIO which also aids in cleaning. It works for me.

Whats your washing theory?

laynlow
07-17-2002, 03:43 PM
The use, frequency, and theory behind Dawn washing have been discussed many times. Try the search feature! :xyxthumbs

imported_Tony
07-17-2002, 08:10 PM
I did not intend to ask about dawn. I asked about "Your washing theory". I have been here long enough to know about the search function. Since you have a power washer in your sig, I thought you would have more to contribute.

shirtman
07-17-2002, 08:22 PM
Rightlane,

I will typically clay once a year, in the spring, and I also use Dawn at that time. Once the spring cleaning is done, those two products disappear for another year, unless another of my vehicles requires some sprucing up. I typically wash weekly with Griots Garage wash, and QD if required with Megs FI. I am a Klasse AIO / SG convert and am planning on topping with Souveran as soon as I get enough layers of SG on.... is there ever enough? Not having used the Souveran yet, I have not used the Crystal Mist QD from Pinnacle yet either..... maybe someday.

Jeff

thevolvoguy
07-17-2002, 08:31 PM
rightlane, I use Dawn anytime I want to start fresh. This is quite often. I always double Dawn wash then follow with a regular wax-free car shampoo to make sure that all the alkalines, etc.. are off my paint. Most find the last step un-necessary, but I think it also helps with gloss before polishing. Anyway, Dawn shouldnt harm your paint with occasional use, just as long as you plan on protecting the paint afterwards.

thevolvoguy
07-17-2002, 08:35 PM
miata- If you havent bought the PCM yet, I reccomend trying the EFCP (Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl) It seems to leave about the same gloss as the Pinnacle stuff but you can use it in direct sun(paint was black and 180 degrees on the hood, roof and trunk), and on glass w/o any streaking. I think prices are about the same.

shirtman
07-17-2002, 08:56 PM
Thanks Cody, but I got the Pinnacle kit, so the Crystal came with it. I generally QD before I take it out, not when I get back, so the car is generally cool in the garage. Nice to know though if I choose to take to a show and need to give it a little cleaning on site. Thanks for the info! :up

Jeff

laynlow
07-17-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by rightlane

I did not intend to ask about dawn. I asked about "Your washing theory". I have been here long enough to know about the search function. Since you have a power washer in your sig, I thought you would have more to contribute.

Sorry, based on your opening statement I thought you were being critical of the use of Dawn.

Anywho, the only time I use Dawn is in preparation for Zaino. I really don`t see any other use for it other than striping wax and oils off the paint. I wash using the two-bucket method with either Z7 or Meguiars #62. A natural sea sponge is my applicator of choice.

The power washer I have in my Avatar is a picture of the actual model I own. A Honda GX commercial duty engine, and a Cat pump power it. It has a max psi of 2500 @ 3 gpm. I use the unloader and dial that down to about 700-1000 psi (700 is normal for a coin-op car wash). I start my wash by doing the wheels first. I spray the white lettering on the tires and inside the wheel wells with EFHI. After agitating the lettering, I rinse it all off with the PW. Then I rinse the entire vehicle with the PW. This is where I feel it is the most effective. I can remove 50-90 percent of the dirt present on the paint before I ever put a sponge to the truck.

The rest of the washing is pretty straightforward. One panel at a time with the two buckets, but I do rinse with the PW. I know the general theory is to rinse the soap off with a flow of water so that the soap-dirt bond is not broken, but the PW is much more effective IMO. The PW also is a great tool for keeping the water moving on the entire vehicle, no matter which section I am washing. This keeps the water from evaporating and creating water spots. When I rinse a soaped section, I just re-rinse another section and everything is kool. :D With the proper technique, I can also sheet the water off, similar to the open hose trick.

Drying is handled by the good ole` Big Blues.

:wavey