PDA

View Full Version : IHG versus IMG?

ZL1Mark
07-17-2002, 09:02 AM
I`ve been working my way around the car with SMR/yellow pad, and now following up with SMR/white pad. Is the second step even necessary/beneficial? Also, I have a big container of IHG -- is it worth applying that after the SMR, can I use it w. my PC, or should I get some IMG? What`s the difference between the two?

And if I used IMG (or IHG), should I use the white pad or gray one?

thanks!

imported_BretFraz
07-17-2002, 09:20 AM
What is IMG? I`ve never heard of it. Its not in the Autopia Acronym list.

I think IHG after SMR is a wasted step. The differences between the two are minor. You can try an experiment with IHG on a small area to see if you can notice an improvment but I`m thinking you won`t.

And, yes, all the SMRing with the different pads is a waste too. The differences between the two pads is pretty minor and the PC isn`t powerful enough make a difference.

I would apply IHG with the white pad and use the grey pad for final products like wax or sealants.

rstype
07-17-2002, 09:40 AM
Imperial Machine Glaze? :confused:

ZL1Mark
07-17-2002, 09:55 AM
3M Imperial Machine Glaze (http://products.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/products/aad.jhtml?powurl=GST476FFFSgsGSLPLPKL4XgeGST1T4S9T CgvGS8V45YN4PglGS7LD0XNRBbl)

agnOstos
07-17-2002, 10:39 AM
bretfraz, would you recommend applying anything after an application of SMR before waxing/zaino`ing?

imported_doug
07-17-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by agnOstos

bretfraz, would you recommend applying anything after an application of SMR before waxing/zaino`ing?

I`m not Bret (duh) but - if you plan to Zaino, IHG is absolutely a wasted step since all it is is filler/oils that must be removed before you Zaino anyway. Even the SMR has stuff that should be dawn-washed off before applyin Z, which needs totally clean paint to adhere to.

agnOstos
07-17-2002, 11:53 AM
Cool, thanks for the reply. :xyxthumbs

One last question, do you personally apply any kind of glaze, etc. after applying SMR or in your opinion is the finish smooth enough at that point?

imported_BretFraz
07-17-2002, 10:26 PM
I`m not Greg (duh ;) ) but my technique has changed over the years. I used to always apply a glaze prior to a final carnauba application. But now I get such good results from SMR`s that I don`t see the need for glaze. So for me its a wasted step. I go right from SMR to carnauba, or a wash then sealant.