PDA

View Full Version : Zaino`s opposite effect...?!?

Pages : [1] 2

CandiceS
07-16-2002, 12:35 PM
Has anyone else using Zaino experienced this???

I was conducting a head to head wax test to see which was the best wax/polish for me. I tested Zaino (my favorite at the time), Klasse, BlackFire, P21S, 3M, Meguiers, Malms, Zymol, One GRand blitz. I tested them all for all sorts of things, shine, application, hiding or removing swirl marks, etc. The last thing I tested for was durability.

http://www.deckowski.com/wax%20off/greatwaxoffintro.htm

One of the carnuaba waxes came in late, so I decided to do a runnoff between Malms and Zaino. I applied each to an entire side of my car, splitting it into 2 equal parts straight down the car.

I then happen to be going on a off road excurision through Death Valley for three days.

The outcome after those three days is what suprised me. I always though that Zaino actually repelled dust. But to my surprise, he carnuaba wax attract less dust, it looked like Zaino was a magnet?!? Not what I was expecting...Just so it`s clear..I didn`t screw up order of the application. I`ve been using Zaino for over 2 years. Nor did I forget which side I applied which product.

Check out the picture and the site. for more details.

Now can anyone explain to me what happened or what I did wrong? I did use Z6, I didn`t use a microfiber towel. The only thing I can think of is that my Zaino supplies are getting a bit old. They are about 8 to 14 months old. Not really sure because I kept buying more and just esed whichever was closest, so all where being used.

Has anyone experienced anything like this???

Redcar GUY
07-16-2002, 12:49 PM
not sure about the test but..... DID YOUR WRITE ON THE PAINT IN THE DUST!!!!:shocked :scared

Scott P
07-16-2002, 12:51 PM
I`ve found that Zaino does attract a bit of dust initially, even when using Z-6. I`ve also discoverd this side-effect stops after the first washing.

CandiceS
07-16-2002, 12:51 PM
Yep, it`s me....

I have some better shots on my site. The difference is even more apparent.

As far as still being at it....I`M DONE! FINITO!

CandiceS
07-16-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Redcar GUY

not sure about the test but..... DID YOUR WRITE ON THE PAINT IN THE DUST!!!!:shocked :scared

Yep....it didn`t do any obvious damage. Plus the truck doesn`t need to be perfect.

chevyguy28
07-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Hey Tom,

I`ve been following your test ever since you were on c32life. Very interesting and informative. Personally I think you should go for Klasse AIO+SG topped with P21S. The shine of P21S gets better over time as you may have realized. Would Klasse alone have stopped the bird bomb etching? Perhaps, but I think the combo is the only real way to get the most well rounded solution.

As far as your Zaino...I`m trying to recall some things Sal Zaino has said to me personally and to others. First, the shelf-life of the regular Zaino products, ZFX the exception, is at least 3 years. I remember that most of the products were effective for 4 or 5 years, providing that they were stored correctly. Also, he may have mentioned the dust attraction issue could be solved by regular Z-6 and Z-7 use. This was nearly a year ago, so don`t count on this last comments validity. Perhaps your Zaino has always attracted dust, considering previously you had no side by side reference. Just some thoughts.

imported_chris
07-16-2002, 12:58 PM
I`m no expert by any means, but maybe the Z-6 being "Slick" attracted the dust?. I 6`d my car 4 days ago, then it rained. After driving on wet roads I have black splash spots from road grime? Could be the same,......The "Slick" surface may be sticky?

Any other opinions welcome.

Thanks

CandiceS
07-16-2002, 12:59 PM
Thanks Justin!

Yea, I think your right. Currently I`m using Klasse with P21S.

Take care!

Tom

Originally posted by JustinTRW

Hey Tom,

I`ve been following your test ever since you were on c32life. Very interesting and informative. Personally I think you should go for Klasse AIO+SG topped with P21S. The shine of P21S gets better over time as you may have realized. Would Klasse alone have stopped the bird bomb etching? Perhaps, but I think the combo is the only real way to get the most well rounded solution.

As far as your Zaino...I`m trying to recall some things Sal Zaino has said to me personally and to others. First, the shelf-life of the regular Zaino products, ZFX the exception, is at least 3 years. I remember that most of the products were effective for 4 or 5 years, providing that they were stored correctly. Also, he may have mentioned the dust attraction issue could be solved by regular Z-6 and Z-7 use. This was nearly a year ago, so don`t count on this last comments validity. Perhaps your Zaino has always attracted dust, considering previously you had no side by side reference. Just some thoughts.

imported_doug
07-16-2002, 01:01 PM
In a test I did of Zaino vs. Gold Class, i found NO difference in dust repulsion/adhesion: Zaino Test - dust Page (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/dust.html)

CandiceS
07-16-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by carguy

In a test I did of Zaino vs. Gold Class, i found NO difference in dust repulsion/adhesion: Zaino Test - dust Page (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/gheumann/zaino_test/dust.html)

Hi Greg,

I just recalled something...when I was removing the Z2, I remember hearing the static charge between the car and the cotton flannel towel.

Did you ever experience this??

I think I might have done something wrong...but I`m not sure what...

bjwebster
07-16-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Aegir

Hi Greg,

I just recalled something...when I was removing the Z2, I remember hearing the static charge between the car and the cotton flannel towel.

Did you ever experience this??

I think I might have done something wrong...but I`m not sure what...

Hi Tom,

Ive never heard a static charge when removing any Z product. Did you remove the carunuba with a cotton flannel towel too?

I always use 100% cotton charisma towels and havent really noticed a dust problem. Maybe its the towel? :nixweiss :nixweiss

CandiceS
07-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by bjwebster

Hi Tom,

Ive never heard a static charge when removing any Z product. Did you remove the carunuba with a cotton flannel towel too?

I always use 100% cotton charisma towels and havent really noticed a dust problem. Maybe its the towel? :nixweiss :nixweiss

hi,

I did use the same type of towel for the carnuaba, but I don`t think I used the same towel for both..., but at this point I`m not really sure.

chevyguy28
07-16-2002, 03:28 PM
Whether or not Zaino repels dust as advertised, the fact that it attracted so much more dust than the Malms combined with your static towel issue definitely makes me feel there is some funny business going on. I almost thought that your towel gained a large amount of static electricity from the dryer, but that would not explain the lower dust level on the carnuba, only a general rise in dust adhesion.

I`m inclined to believe the test should repeated if you really really want to find out, as all test should be in the scientific world. Luckily, we do things similar here. We publish results and allow others to repeat the process...though we are not as scientific in our dealings.

imported_Aurora40
07-17-2002, 09:17 AM
How did you get such a well demarked line on the hood when using the two products? Do you mask it off? I have thought about trying that sort of test (different products though), but with a PC it seems like there would be a pretty fuzzy area of overlap. I was just wondering how it`s done. If you do mask it off, what sort of tape do you use? Obviously I don`t want sticky residue on my car, nor do I want to have the paint rip off when removing the tape. Thanks a lot!

imported_doug
07-17-2002, 11:27 AM
I strongly suspect part of the problem is your use of flannel. I strongly encourage you to buy some microfiber wipes. For buffing out residue of waxes, glases, polishes, - etc - I don`t think you`ll find anyone here who would EVER go back to terry or flannel or cotton-T`s or diapers or.....