PDA

View Full Version : Fixing chipped paint

EvilTheCat
07-15-2002, 11:23 PM
Ok, a while back I had posted a question about the clearcoat detaching from the paint. Well, I had gotten all that fixed. Question now is this. I had gone to Home depot to pick up some plumbing stuff, and when I came out, there was this big chunk of paint missing from my hood. "looked almost like someone had taken a screwdriver, and gouged a chunk out" Needless to say I was not all to pleased. Anyways, I go home, start to repair it. Strip down to the metal, primer, sit 3 hours, primer, sit 3 hours, base color coat. Let it sit for 24 hours. Went back, did another coat, and let it sit for 24 hours, I checked it today, getting ready to apply the clearcoat, It looked like the paint on the outside had matched the rest of the paint, however there was this little part in the center that looked atleast two shades darker then the rest of the paint. Did I do something wrong, or did I miss a step? It doesn`t make sense as to what it did.

Jngrbrdman
07-15-2002, 11:31 PM
It could be that the paint was a little thinner in that area. I just touched up a spot in my rear bumper sort of like that. My brother dragged one of his luggage wheels on my bumper when I picked him up at the airport a few weeks ago. The bumper under the paint was black and it took a few coats before I got it to match the normal paint. White is a little harder to do than most colors I guess. I must have coated and sanded at least 5 times before I got it looking right. Sometimes it just takes some more paint and sanding to get it to blend right. I`m not the expert though. That was just my experience at it.