PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Car Wash, Recycled Water

CharlesW
07-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Hello:

Today, a friend asked me why I disliked commercial car washes so much. When I told him one of the reasons was the recycled water, he had a hard time believing it was done by almost all of the commercial washes. Am I wrong about this? I have always heard that even the do-it-yourself wand places, the brush type drive-thru, and the touchless, used recycled water for most of the wash. The rinse and the spot free rinse being with fresh water. Any experts out there that can enlighten me?

Charles

laynlow
07-15-2002, 09:45 PM
The Western Carwash Association has this on their main page:

"Consumers Looking For a Car Wash

If you are not a car wash operator but are looking for a car wash facility near you, click on the Locator Service bubble on the left. You will find that WCA members are professionals in their business, recycle the water they use, and flush the waste water down the local sewer, not into the storm drains that go to the oceans, lakes, rivers and streams."

http://www.wcwa.org/index.php?page_id=30

Commercial carwash operators recycle for two main reasons. First, it saves them money in the long run. Second, they like every other industry are under intense pressure to reduce the environmental impact their business has on the environment.

I found three carwashes in my area that are members, meaning they recycle. I am sure others do as well, even if they are not members of this organization.

caddyman
07-15-2002, 10:07 PM
Well, I do a lot of degreasings at these places, so I feel bad for the people that wash their cars there!

Enuf said?

bigltc
07-16-2002, 12:01 AM
My city requires car washes to recycle water. Sounds yucky!

Redcar GUY
07-16-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by caddyman

Well, I do a lot of degreasings at these places, so I feel bad for the people that wash their cars there!

Enuf said?

I was thinking the same thing......:eek:

F150BOB
07-16-2002, 12:00 PM
Back in the dark ages, I always ran my truck through the self-service wash at the gas station when I filled-up. I would spray my wheels with wheel cleaner before running through the wash. I wonder if some of it is still circulating through that car wash?:confused:

Oh well, it won`t ever happen again!:cool:

BOB

tsnack
07-16-2002, 12:45 PM
ooof! didn`t know that about car wash places. Thankfully I don`t go there!

well, I did go there a few times in the winter......hehehe :)

That definately is something good to know!:xyxthumbs

ScrampaTeg03
07-16-2002, 11:56 PM
Not that I would reccommend taking your car through a car wash anyways, but the water that gets recycled goes through a series of steps in a filtration system. I learned about it this year in Chemistry....there was a diagram in the book and all (oh how I just loved that class:rolleyes: ).