PDA

View Full Version : Look at what dealer did to this new BMW (url)

Pages : [1] 2

kkjv1
07-15-2002, 05:24 PM
It hurts just by looking at it. What can this poor soul do to fix the problem?

BMW dealer screw up (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=863752&page=1) :nono

imported_dogma
07-15-2002, 05:53 PM
Thanks again for posting the link, and I hope someone has input on what to do with this.

ShannanC
07-15-2002, 05:57 PM
make the dealership compensate you for damages or detail the car again the right way. sorry that happened to you man, good luck with everything.

kkjv1
07-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Sorry about your car Deej. My e39 will be arriving at my dealer in a couple of days (Weatherford Berkeley) and i specifically told them NOT to prep my car. I hope they remember.

I`m sure a lot of Autopians here would be more than happy to help you out. Hang out a bit and search on "removing swirls" and you`d be surprised at the wealth of knowledge you`ll get.

Kent

imported_dogma
07-15-2002, 06:17 PM

Bobby G
07-15-2002, 06:25 PM
dj77... I have to ask, why did you accept the car? My very next call would be to BWM North America to speak with the head of customer relations. The last thing you want is to get into a pissing match with the dealer. My guess is that they will want to fix the panel with the buffer burn and reglaze the rest of the car. Not acceptable! You should request full monetary compensation for the future decrease in value of your car (a car with paint work has a lower value than the same car without paint work).

db

imported_dogma
07-15-2002, 06:33 PM
I was told that I need to give dealer chance to fix, so they said they have their own bodyshop also and this time they will have them do the work. I had no choice as they had refused to pay my detailer, so I gave them their chance and this is what happened. I picked up car saturday evening with half the things not even done, and they said they will call me monday to reschedule the other things. I called BMWNA again, same lady picks up by the name of Carol and they dont transfer to head of dep. or manager and said they cant control dealerships. Also i recieved no call from dealer, and I left an email to general manager with these same pictures and a link to my post on Roadfly message board. Hope he looked at it all, and contacts me to resolve this.

z4zen
07-15-2002, 06:52 PM
Another check mark next to BMW for top notch customer service. :rolleyes: thanks for reminding me why I went with Lexus for my recent car purchase.

deejay -- I`m sorry to hear about this unfortunate problem... perhaps corresponding with the owner of the dealership may help, or getting the weight of the BMW Club of North America on your side. Good luck.

Mike_Phillips
07-15-2002, 07:13 PM
Hi deejay77,

Man, I feel bad for you, that looks horrible. After all these years of calling on body shops, detail shops and dealerships, what I found for the most part was this, everyone wants to do it as cheap as they can... rarely do I meet someone who wants to do it the right the first time.

The burn through will require repainting.

The buffer swirl can be removed, but only if they do it right the first time.

Generally speaking, asking the company who instilled the swirl to remove the swirl doesn`t make good sense. If they knew how to do right the first time they would have. They appear to be clueless.

I would ask them what they are going to use to fix the problem. Specifically. Ask them to show you the pads and the chemicals.

I would ask them what they used to put it in with. That would give you and the rest of us an idea of how deep the swirl is and then we could tell you what it is going to take to remove it.

Of coarse, they removed a measurable amount of film-build and... the swirl removal process will remove a measurable film-build.

Considering paint is thin to start with... you will not have any room, or "paint thickness" for a future defect and it`s removal.

Also, all of you UV protection is in the clear coat. The more clear coat you remove the less protection you have. Not to mention the whole subject of Impermeable and Permeable surfaces, which yours is now quite permeable.

I would think a repaint of the entire car would be fair.

I would hope the dealership would learn from this lesson and get a clue.

I`m not sure where your located, (I recently moved here from Oregon), but I am hosting a Meguiar`s Clinic here at Meguiar`s on August 31st. If your in this area you might want to stop by. You can get the details on the Mercedes Shop forum

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php3?s=&forumid=7

Most of the detailing work I have done in my life is removing buffer swirl. Cars that look just like this one. It is a lot of work and full of risk.

I would ask for a new paint job and do not let them sand or buff it out. You will end up with the same problem.

I can show you how to wet-sand, cut and buff it yourself.

Or, demand they use the Meguiar`s "System" when they wet-sand, cut and buff. The secret is the Meguiar`s "Electronics" grade sanding papers. But I digress.

Mike

JAGOWNER1981
07-15-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Hi deejay77,

Man, I feel bad for you, that looks horrible. After all these years of calling on body shops, detail shops and dealerships, what I found for the most part was this, everyone wants to do it as cheap as they can... rarely do I meet someone who wants to do it the right the first time.

The burn through will require repainting.

The buffer swirl can be removed, but only if they do it right the first time.

Generally speaking, asking the company who instilled the swirl to remove the swirl doesn`t make good sense. If they knew how to do right the first time they would have. They appear to be clueless.

I would ask them what they are going to use to fix the problem. Specifically. Ask them to show you the pads and the chemicals.

I would ask them what they used to put it in with. That would give you and the rest of us an idea of how deep the swirl is and then we could tell you what it is going to take to remove it.

Of coarse, they removed a measurable amount of film-build and... the swirl removal process will remove a measurable film-build.

Considering paint is thin to start with... you will not have any room, or "paint thickness" for a future defect and it`s removal.

Also, all of you UV protection is in the clear coat. The more clear coat you remove the less protection you have. Not to mention the whole subject of Impermeable and Permeable surfaces, which yours is now quite permeable.

I would think a repaint of the entire car would be fair.

I would hope the dealership would learn from this lesson and get a clue.

I`m not sure where your located, (I recently moved here from Oregon), but I am hosting a Meguiar`s Clinic here at Meguiar`s on August 31st. If your in this area you might want to stop by. You can get the details on the Mercedes Shop forum

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php3?s=&forumid=7

Most of the detailing work I have done in my life is removing buffer swirl. Cars that look just like this one. It is a lot of work and full of risk.

I would ask for a new paint job and do not let them sand or buff it out. You will end up with the same problem.

I can show you how to wet-sand, cut and buff it yourself.

Or, demand they use the Meguiar`s "System" when they wet-sand, cut and buff. The secret is the Meguiar`s "Electronics" grade sanding papers. But I digress.

Mike

wow, I would love to attend that. East bay BMW is in pleasanton, CA. A few autopians such as carguy or Short Cut (who lives in pleasanton) can help you out with your BMW.

RegalGS
07-15-2002, 08:14 PM
deejay...

That is just horrible. :shocked I wish you the best of luck in getting the problem solved, let us all know how it turns out in the end!

laynlow
07-15-2002, 08:30 PM
With damage like that, and the run-a-round you are getting I believe the time to have an attorney write a letter is at hand.

samiam513
07-15-2002, 08:48 PM
get a lawyer and suddenly show up at the dealer. They will **** bricks when you sue for a new car and lawyer fees.

They did damage, they must fix it. If they don`t, they get ripped a new one.....

Red Wolf
07-15-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by deejay77

I called BMWNA again, same lady picks up by the name of Carol and they dont transfer to head of dep. or manager and said they cant control dealerships. Also i recieved no call from dealer, and I left an email to general manager with these same pictures and a link to my post on Roadfly message board. Hope he looked at it all, and contacts me to resolve this.

Sounds like you called a call center, speaking to a customer on the phone is a worse fate then getting the plague so odds are you won`t get a manager,even if you did there isn`t much they can do in most places( I work in a call center). Call centers have policies and procedures in place to prevent anything that might be mistaken for customer service from happening.

You can try calling again to get a more helpful agent, possibly email might get you a different agent.BMWNA most likely decides on dealer allotments, so if your dealer wants 2003`s he`ll fix the damage done to your car. I`d think BMW would be more concerned about its image then to give you the run around

Preachers Sheets
07-15-2002, 08:59 PM
I wouldn`t let them touch the car from there.

Try to get the amount of money it will take to fix the car and to be honest, take it to a trust worthy autopian that lives close to you. I am sure any of us would be willing to help and with the know-how of what product to use for what application I am sure you will leave this ordeal a very happy person.

Probaly end up spending a few extra bucks to have that person do the rest of the car ;)