PDA

View Full Version : PepBoys foam/terry applicators...

ExplorerXLT95
07-15-2002, 02:12 PM
I bought these from PepBoys because they looked a lot like the ones on CMA. They`re made by a company called "EZ-ONE" or something like that and they "seem" (perception of a budding detailing enthusiast) to be ok. Anyone had any experience with these applicators or could you tell me a way to test their quality??

jmsc
07-15-2002, 04:46 PM
at Pep Boys but did not buy them.

1 test would be to try the terry ones and the foam on a CD using some QD or wax and see if they scratch.

The 2 best constructed white terry ones by far are from Lexol and Zaino. Thick and soft with lots of nap to them. Zymol`s are good also. I would judge the Pep Boys appls by comparing them to any of the above 3.

You can also do the burn test on the terry ones.

ExplorerXLT95
07-16-2002, 11:37 AM
Cool, thanks, but how can I test the foam ones for quality?? Also, what`s the "burn test" for the terry applicators??

imported_Dude
07-16-2002, 01:11 PM
I am pretty sure that the Pep Boys applicators have a high polyester content. I`d stay away from them. The Pep Boys that I go to has foam applicators, too. You might want to check them out. They`re cheap and easy.

shaf
07-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ExplorerXLT95

Cool, thanks, but how can I test the foam ones for quality?? Also, what`s the "burn test" for the terry applicators?? This isn`t scientific, but I just stick with name brand applicators (currently Meguiars pads), and I eyeball the material to see if it looks quality. For some bizzare inexplicable reason I keep buying these packs of Sundance 1/2 terry 1/2 foam sided apps and always return them. :confused: The last time I swore was the final time because I compared the foam material to my Meguiars pads and there was no comparison. The Sundance ones were junk, with much bigger foam cells of inconsistent size, and some air bubbles here and there.

The "burn test" is to test all "100% cotton" whatevers, not just towels. That includes chenille mitts. You just take a chunk and burn it and see if it leaves any yellowed, melted-looking residue instead of pure ash. This tells you if it has polyester in it or not.

jmsc
07-16-2002, 02:37 PM
I bought a pkg of 2 Meguiars Yellow foam pads at WMART the other day for $1.67. This one had the M logo on it. Can`t beat that price unless you`re buying by the boatloads.

imported_Intel486
07-16-2002, 06:47 PM
I buy those from PepBoys and they are fine.

I don`t use the terry ones for paint work at all. I use them for applying dressing and for applying leather conditioners only.

I`ll use the foam pads for getting wax in tight areas where my buffer can`t reach.

Not sure what brand mine are because the bag is in my truck but they are probably the same.

RobD
07-16-2002, 07:55 PM
I bought them once, and was unhappy with their quality. Their density is poor (can see through to the foam base) and they don`t seem that plush. I would only use them on an out of the way area (ie. lower body panals) of your paint job or for silver painted (clear coated) wheels. Mine started to fray when I tried them. There are better choices; my Pep Boys carries Turtle Wax cotton applicators, which are of better quality and similar in price. Top quality 100% cotton applicators look and feel like a plush bath towel. Truthfully, I, along with many others, use and recommend the foam applicators. They are more gentle on delicate finishes and darker colors, absorb less product (less waste), more easily spread the product and don`t catch on emblems or trim. Mild soap and warm water cleans (reasonably) dirty foam like new and they are more durable than the cotton applicators. If you like the feel of the cotton applicators, you might want to try the microfiber applicators that CMA and other specialty suppliers sell. I`ve yet to try them, but if they work anything like my microfiber towels, I`d bet they`re better than cotton. Good luck!