PDA

View Full Version : Help

hkross
07-15-2002, 12:00 AM
I am starting to wonder if my car is even worth detailing. The hood has dings dents chips galore. Same with the rest of the body. There are bunches of swrils a few hairline scratches and dents. At least they look like dents. I see them from my side view mirrors. The molding is rusting on the ends. One piece fallen off. Rust is minor. I don`t have enough money to buy all the fancy stuff you buy. The inside is good though. Should I forget the out side and work on the inside. Or can you give me some tips. Thank you all in advance.

Scottwax
07-15-2002, 12:10 AM
Honestly, you can probably find a Hyundai Excel in better condition that yours for under $1000 and transfer all your good stuff to it.

You`d be better off finding a good used early to mid 90`s Civic if you can swing the money.

If you want to keep your car, take an auto body class at a local community college, fix all the problems then either repaint it in the class (I had a friend who did this), or once the body is straight and prepped, send it to a local paint shop to be painted.

shaf
07-15-2002, 01:48 AM
If you don`t want to trade up your car, at the minimum I`d replace the molding (glue/double sided tape) and stop the rust with rust remover/converter. Then buy some cheap TW polishing compound to take out some of the scratches and severe swirling, some inexpensive towels and household foam sponges, and then a simple 1 step cleaner wax (TW also?).

That all shouldn`t cost very much, and the only goal being to make the car shiny and look good superficially from a distance. Kind of a how much trouble and cost is it worth type of decision. My car for example has some paint defects and dents, but you have to get close to see them.