PDA

View Full Version : What is denatured alcohol?

Pages : [1] 2

itsme
07-14-2002, 02:56 PM
Is this something you can get at convenience stores or Mart type stores?

shaf
07-14-2002, 03:27 PM
Hmm, the worst part is I had to look this up because I could never remember. "Denatured" is usually referring to proteins and I always get thrown off - blah. :(

Denatured alcohol is different from plain "alcohol" in that it`s mixed with "denaturants" like benzene or methanol, rendering it undrinkable. When people say "alcohol" outside the chemistry world, they mean ethanol by the way. I don`t know what`s in off the shelf rubbing alcohol, but I don`t think you need any special laboratory-grade alcohol to do removal jobs and they should work fine.

FYI trivia: even "100%" rubbing alcohol contains a great deal of water. It`s 100% hydrated alcohol that`s absorbed as much water as it can, not pure ethanol.

crooper
07-14-2002, 03:38 PM
afaik, denatured means it has no water in it. i haven`t seen a place that carries it. the isopropyl alcohol is a mixture of alcohol and water.

JasonC8301
07-14-2002, 03:52 PM
Wal-Mart, look in the painting/staining section.

The Home Depot - look in the staining section.

Or try a hardware store.

Pretty inexpensive stuff, less than $5 at Home Depot for like a pint or something.

Jason

shaf
07-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by crooper

afaik, denatured means it has no water in it. i haven`t seen a place that carries it. the isopropyl alcohol is a mixture of alcohol and water. Whoops! Rubbing alcohol = isopropyl alcohol not ethanol! Heh heh :p

Isn`t alcohol with no water in it "anhydrous alcohol"? :confused: Or are they the same thing and instead of water they use benzene or methanol? Hmm, maybe that`s right.

Excuse me while I go into a corner and cry.

crooper
07-14-2002, 04:19 PM
hmm, looks like denatured alcohol is actually ethyl alcohol. i think you`re right, anhydrous alcohol is alcohol with no water.

itsme
07-14-2002, 04:19 PM
Thanks for all the info.

mercedesfanatic
07-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Sounds like you`re all a bunch of chemists runnin` a meth lab:D

dlw
07-14-2002, 04:42 PM
I use a lot of denatured alcohol because I`m always removing Zaino from cars for one reason or another (fixing a chip, etc) and alcohol is the only thing short of professional body shop products that will remove Zaino polish. Isopropyl alcohol always left a little film so I went to the pharmacy and got denatured alcohol. According to the guy at the pharmacy, denatured alcohol burns cleaner that the other, so it made sense to me that denatured would work better for my purposes. I tried both and noticed much better results with the denatured alcohol. I usually buy the stuff at a Menard`s close to me.

Alan_525i
07-14-2002, 09:04 PM
As a chemist (just graduated from college in may!) I spent a lot of time working with alcohols.

Yes, ethanol is the type of alcohol in booze. Don`t think though that if you go out and buy a quart of laboratory (or HPLC for you chemists) grade (99.9+% pure) that you can drink even a shot of it. It will at the very least make you throw up and at the most kill you (unless you are the type that has grown up on grain alcohol or moonshine). The natural alcohols that are a result of the fermentation of booze are a mixture of alcohols not JUST ethanol (which happens to be a 2-carbon alcohol) although it is predominantly ethanol.

Isopropyl alcohol is a 4-carbon alcohol where the carbons are in a T-shape. IPA (as we call it in lab) is good as a rubbing alcohol because while it has a higher boiling point, it has a lower vapor pressure (if I remember correctly) so it evaporates quickly. It also mixes with water better. In the supermarket you have various percentages of IPA which include 70%, 90%, 99% and others. The mixed versions have the advantage of not evaporating as quickly (as water does not evaporate quickly at room temp and mixtures of liquids change the evaporation characteristics of the whole mixture).

Now, the detailing side of it all. Lets say you use pure IPA. Its going to evaporate pretty quick. This may not give enough time for it to dissolve the "target" and pull it into your rag. This will cause you to use more alcohol or be less effective.

Anyway, thats what I can contribute to this one.

Oh, btw, good antifreeze may not contain alcohols anymore. Ethylene Glycol is the active ingredient and I see no reason why alcohols would be included purposely in antifreeze.

And anhydrous refers to any liquid that is totally free of trapped water. But it is also used to describe chemicals that are used to extract water from other substances.

BradE
07-14-2002, 09:15 PM
Denatured Alcohol has many uses in car-care, I buy it by the gallon from Home Depot. Mix it up with some other things and it makes one of the best window cleaners around. :up Like Jason said it`s in the paint section, it`s $9.99/gallon.

chevyguy28
07-15-2002, 12:48 AM
It`s also wonderful for removing those pesky airbag stickers.

spotter
07-15-2002, 08:03 AM
please describe how to remove the air bag stickers on visors. I hate the things and would love to know how to safely remove them.

BradE
07-15-2002, 09:03 AM
please describe how to remove the air bag stickers on visors. I hate the things and would love to know how to safely remove them.

:nono It`s federal law that they be placed there, I think it`s illegal to remove them. Kinda like matress tags.

Lowejackson
07-15-2002, 09:59 AM
Kinda like matress tags

Why cant you remove matress tags or for that matter, air bag stickers. I cannot see why it would matter:nixweiss

Steven