PDA

View Full Version : wen vs pc from a newbie

wyang
07-14-2002, 01:12 PM
I discovered this forum about 3 weeks ago. The amount of collective information here is phenomenal! Anyhow my car is a red WRX, just over a year old now. I started off just washing it on about a weekly basis. After about a year I applied some Mother`s cleaner wax and was impressed with the results but a funny thing happened - I became hooked on detailing my car. Satisfied but wanting to see how much more I could do, I bought the Mother`s 3-step the next week and started over. The results were definitely better than with the cleaner wax and I was hooked! A couple of weeks later I discovered the clay bar and re-did my whole car again - clay, sealer & glaze, and wax. And then about a month after that I found a retailer in the area who sold 3M products so I redid my car again - dawn wash, IHG, wax. The look just keeps getting better and better...and I`m falling deeper and deeper into my addiction.

With the background out of the way, I have decided to purchase an orbital buffer and would like to get a PC but can`t find any retailers here in Mississauga (Ontario, Canada) but can get a Wen with 1/2 hp, 2 speeds (1300 - 1800 rpm) for about $65 US (with the current exchange rate). Will this be effective in properly using 3M FI-II or should I continue my search for a PC?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Jademonkey
07-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Any Canadian tire or Home Depot will carry them.

Just go to hardware and ask them about it.

or go to Canadian Tire and give them this #475940

That is the product number for the PC 7424.

C. Charles Hahn
07-14-2002, 01:39 PM
a WEN won`t WIN when it comes to fixing surface defects..... :p

they`re way underpowered for what you will want to be doing - you won`t be satisfied.

wyang
07-14-2002, 01:40 PM
I`ll be doing that today! Much, much appreciated!!

Thanks "Jademonkey".

viper_chan
07-14-2002, 01:40 PM
Did you try visiting your local Canadian Tire store(s)? They had the PC 7424SP on sale for $179 cdn awhile back. Look for it in the power tools section. I bought the last one in Winnipeg a couple weeks ago.

itsme
07-14-2002, 01:41 PM
I second what SLD said. The Wen is fine for applying and buffing off waxes and sealants, but it doesn`t have enough power to work 3M Fi-II or similiar products

Z06Joe
07-31-2002, 02:14 AM
I have been searching for the PC7424 and have finally located it at Canadian Tire. They dont keep it with the WEN products or with the power tools. It is located in the same aisle as the touch up paints, body fillers and such. I guess they think it is only used for sanding Bondo:nixweiss